Twenty three

"No! Don't pull it out! You will only make it worse." Althea told Jade's friend. She knelt down shaking and touched Jade's face.

"What happened?" Her voice shaking.

Althea continued to touch Jade's face who's almost unconscious while whispering that she needs to hold on because the ambulance is on its way.

"...suddenly, i-- i noticed that the knife was already at her back.." Emma recalled crying.

Althea looked at Emma and noticed her right arm bleeding. She reached for her hanky and wrapped Emma's wounds with it. Emma said she shielded Jade from her ex girlfriend who wreaked havoc because she broke up with her two weeks ago.

Althea looked at Emma with danger in her eyes.

"What?!" Althea looked around and searched the crowd. She stood up quickly and walked towards the girl whose arms were being held by their guard.

Althea faced the girl. She was so mad that without thinking twice, she slapped the girl, "That is for Jade. I will make sure you will rot in jail." She instructed the guard to call the police and went back to Jade and her companion.

Finally, the ambulance came. She asked for Emma's number and gave hers so that she'll know which hospital they will bring Jade in.

Althea went back inside the resto and looked for her bag.

"Where are you going?" Riza asked with her arms crossed in her chest.

"Hon.. i, uh.. I need to go.. i'm sorry. I just need to check on Jade and her friend then i'll call you, ok?"

Althea kissed Riza on the cheek and run outside towards her car. She started the engine and dialed Emma's number to ask for the hospital. Next, she dialed Bette's number but a male voice answered.

"Look, i don't care what she's doing right now just tell her that her best friend is on a life and death situation. Now, can i talk to her?!" She shouted at the phone when the person at the other line said that Bette was busy doing a photo shoot.

Bette talked to her and she explained what happened. She also told Bette that she's on the way to the hospital to check on Jade. Bette said that as soon as she's done with the photo shoot, she will go and visit Jade.

She was at the parking when her phone rang, "Hello?"

"Althea, this is Anne. Bette just called me and i'm on my way to the hospital. How's Jade?" She could sense that Anne was shaking from the other line.

"Anne... I just got here. I am now going inside. Calm down, she will be fine, ok?.."

Anne sniffed and asked Althea to wait for her.

Althea saw Emma sitting outside the operating room. She went over and sat down two seats from Emma.

"Hey, how's Jade? Any news?" Althea asked.

Emma nodded her head and sniffed. "I haven't talked to anyone, yet."

"How's ahm, your arm? Have you had that checked?" Althea gestured at Emma's wound.

"No, i'm ok. This is nothing compared to Jade's. I'm fine. I'll be fine."

"Tell me, what exactly happened after you went out of the restaurant?"

Emma sighed, "As soon as I stepped out of the resto, I already saw Jamie – my ex talking to Jade. I walked towards them then Jamie saw me. She shouted at me and started to cause a scene. Jade wants to avoid the scandalous approach and opened her car door. She was about to go in when I saw Jamie pulled out a knife from her bag. I – I tried to protect Jade but Jamie pushed me away. Next thing I know, Jade was already at the ground with the knife on her back..." Emma cried loudly and said that she will never forgive herself if something will happen to Jade.

Althea combed her hair with her fingers out of frustration. Then she heard footsteps. She looked around to see Anne running towards them. Anne hugged her and asked about Jade. Althea said that Jade was still inside the operating room and they haven't talked to anyone, yet. Anne said that their parents were out of town and would probably be there the next day.

About 30 minutes later, the doctor went out of the operating room and informed them that Jade is already out of danger but has lost quite a lot of blood so she will need to rest a lot to recover quickly.

They went to Jade's room and saw her sleeping. Emma said that she needs to go and will be back later.

Anne then asked what happened. Althea recounted Emma's story and by the time she's finished, Anne was clenching her fist so tight.

"I will kill her!" Anne said angrily.

"Anne.. shh.. Don't worry she's already at the police station." As Althea put her arm around Anne.

"Althea.. Thank you –Thank you so much, you were there. And for being here now."

Althea smiled then her phone rang. It was Riza. She was asked to go home as soon as she can. She then told Anne that she needs to go home and will be back later tonight and that if she will need anything, to just call her. She hugged and kissed Anne then went home.

As Althea opened the door of her unit, Riza was waiting for her with a suitcase at her side. She looked at Riza and then at the suitcase.

"Hon? Wh-- What is this?" Althea said gesturing at the suitcase.

Riza sighed, "Althea I know a lost cause when i see one. I have prayed and hope that our relationship will last.. But after meeting her again, i know i lost a part of you..."

"Riza--"

"Shhh.. Let me finish, please? I need you to hear me out." She sighed and continued, "After seeing her again, you were never the same. I know you have been trying not to be affected but Althea, i can feel you thinking about her and you controlling yourself.. Sometimes, i've been thinking that the reason why you're showering me with gifts because you want to free yourself from guilt. Althea.. I love you and i appreciate you still holding on to me.. to us.. because you are a nice person and prolly, you don't wanna hurt me. But how about you? Until when are you going to hurt yourself?" Riza started to cry, "Honestly, i feel hurt and sad. I have lost someone so beautiful inside out. I have always imagined myself being with you for the rest of my life. But it's still her, right? i know it will always be her. Your actions earlier just confirmed it.. So, i'm setting you free..."