Chapter Two

They ran up the steps to their back veranda and crashed through the french doors, soaked completely through. Hilary shivered at Evelyn's side and she too was cold. The storm raged outside with thunder and lightning and whistling winds. Sarah ran in to the room and took Hilary away. She sneezed shuffled along after her slave in her wet boots.

"Biddy!" Evelyn screamed through the house as she dragged her feet up stairs. Her dress was heavy and soaked through. Her bones were tired and ached. It took a lot of effort just to take a step up. A negro woman dark as coal rushed into the room from the dining room.

"Yes ma'am?" When she saw her mistress's daughter her jaw dropped. "Oh Lord child! Come now ma'am, let us clean you up." Biddy rushed to Evelyn's side and took hold of her elbow. Evelyn leaned on her broad shoulders as she led her up to her wash room. She stripped Evelyn down and led her to a warm bath that had been drawn. Evelyn lowered herself into the lukewarm water and let Biddy wash her hair.

When she was done bathing she stood and Biddy put a thin lavender robe over Evelyn's shoulders. They went to the adjoining bedchamber. Biddy's daughter, Benny, was waiting for them. A party dress had been laid out on the bed. Evelyn had completely forgotten about their party today. It was going to be grand. They were hosting an afternoon tea and then a ball in the evening. Her mother and she had been planning it for months. How could she just forget?

She untied the robe and let it fall to the ground. Biddy left the room, leaving her in the care of her slave. Benny came over with her underpinnings and dressed her in them. Then she wrapped a corset around her lady's midsection. Evelyn braced herself against the wall. Benny took the laces and pulled. She tightened. And tightened. And tightened it even more. It squeezed all air from Evelyn's lungs. She stood straight, regaining her breath. She admired her small waist in the mirror. She had, luckily, been gifted with a tall slim body to begin with, but with a corset on, her waste was pinched to a slender eighteen inches. It as well made her hips and breasts stand out. Her servant then put the crinoline and some petticoats on. Finally came the dress. It was a beautiful yellow satin gown. Her hair was pulled up into a twist and let delicate ringlets fall from it. Evelyn pulled on a pair of lace gloves and a white wide brimmed hat. She was quite satisfied with the figured starring back at her.

Her hair was a light color right between blonde and red. Gavin had the same color and she had his eyes as well. The Scottish in her was very prominent. Like her father, she was tall with the same, thin facial features. Hilary took more after the German in their mother. Her hair was dark like Suzanne's with a round face, though she had blue eyes as well. Hilary was a beautiful girl, she just didn't know how to show it. If she did she would have suitors lining the driveway for her hand. Evelyn hated that about her. Though, she was not sure if she was jealous of her looks or angry at her for not utilizing them. Evelyn had learned how to use her own charm and good looks certain ways to get what she wanted and she felt that her sister should be able to do the same.

"There Miss. You'll be the prettiest woman there."

"Thank-you Benny," Evelyn beamed at her reflection. Benny was her slave. She had been born two years after Evelyn and was given to Evelyn on her fifth birthday. Biddy was Suzanne's but she had been Evelyn's nurse as a little girl. She and Suzanne were with child at the same time. She had her second son only four days before Evelyn was born. However, only a week after Evelyn birth her son died. Though now she had two twin daughters, Beneatha and Sarah, and another son. Her husband and two boys worked in the fields. Gavin had bought her for his wife as well as Biddy's husband, and her two year old son. Gavin McClain was always a strong believer in family, no matter who. He insisted that if they were to buy a slave he'd try to buy their family as well and he did not like to sell them, especially apart. When he died Evelyn promised to keep his morals alive.