Chapter 38

Bella P.O.V

They all stay quiet as I'm deep in thought, deciding what should I do. Leave with Edward? Or stay? But if I stay, what happens to me and Edward? Everything is telling me to keep a far, far distance from him. That he's not for me. Then there's my weak side, the side that tells me that I want to be with him. That living without him will make me miserable.

Decisions, decisions.

The door opens, calling everyone's attention. Edward walks in, ignoring everyone, he walks up to me. He takes my hand and kisses it, with his free one he touches my cheek and pulls my hair from my face. His lip is stitched and so is his eyebrow. There's a very nasty bruise on his cheekbone.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, sitting on my bed.

As well as he does, I ignore my brother's and nod at him. "I'm better. What did the doctor say?" I ask him.

He shakes his head. "Nothing major. The good this is that you'll be back on your feet in the matter of no time."

"And Mike?" I ask.

His eyes darken. "You don't need to worry about him anymore. Don't even ask how he's doing, he's lucky I don't know where he is or else he'll be dead by now."

"Yeah, I know," I say. "But, I need to know why did he-"

"Edward is right, Bella," Emmett says, interrupting me. "You don't need to waste your time with that bastard."

I sigh. "I know that. I still need to know why he did it," I insist. "He helped him for a reason. I want to know why."

Edward shakes his head. "No, Bella. Once the police knows something, he'll let us know. The only thing you should worry about is your own health. I'll deal with Mike."

"Why can't I?" I cry. "He tried to kill me. He trapped me in my own house, tied me up and almost stabbed me with a knife. He almost killed you, Edward. I need to know why."

Edward shakes his head. "This is not under discussion. Now, Bella, please don't make it any harder." He leans over, kissing me on the forehead. "The doctor said you're doing great with the recovery, if you keep it at this pace you'll be out here in no time."

"Don't you need to be in a room?" I ask. "You took a pretty good beating from him."

"No," he says. "I'm good. A few broken ribs, but I'll survive. Now, the most important thing for me right now is making sure you're okay."

Alice says, "We'll give you two a minute." She takes Jasper by the arm and walk out, Emmett and Rose right behind them.

With my heart pounding on my chest, I wrap my arms around Edward, pulling him into a firm hug. I need to see if the feeling is still there, but the moment he hugs me back, it's all gone. I feel safe. I feel loved, but that small voice at the back of my head says otherwise.

Edward wouldn't hurt me, would he? He did everything he could to save me. Walked out of the hospital, when he clearly shouldn't after a terrible accident to earn another beating just to save me. Could he hurt me? Can I trust him? I want to, I want to trust. I want to be with him, but first I need to find the answers for my own questions.

Then, there's the fear of the unknown. That fear that says that he's not being completely honest with me, that he's hiding something else. What could it be?

All this makes my head feel dizzy, my stomach sick. I don't want to feel like this, I can't feel like this. Why am I feeling like this? I want my life back. I don't want to be scared, I don't want to be frighten every moment I'm alone or walk out to the public. I need my life back. Just like the way it used to be before all this.