Chapter 17

The days had flown by, and life started to fall into a new routine at the castle. Every morning I was greeted by an eccentric Roberto, who would prod and prick fabric around me until he was satisfied. Then stay to ensure my breakfast was to his healthy standards. I'd force down the rabbit food until Roberto kissed me on the cheek, and left.

Later in the morning, when I was unavoidably starving, I'd head on down to the kitchens and try begging a new person for a cheeseburger and fries. I always had little success. The kitchen staff would just smile politely, and shake their heads.

When I eventually confronted Patricia about it, she roared with laughter.

"Stevie, Roberto came down here and said we must stop turning you into a little piggy. He said you will not fit into your dress!"

I'd grudgingly cursed the man under my breath and stormed out in a huff.

Later that day, a grinning Andy intercepted me from my ladder riding in the library, and pushed a folded napkin into my hand. When I'd opened it in my room, three chocolate macaroons were revealed. From then on it became a new tradition. Each day Andy would find a way to slip me something deliciously edible.

They were undoubtedly the best part of my day. Not just because I got to appease my never ending hunger, but because it meant I saw him, even if it was briefly sometimes. The one day I was super spoilt when he took me out horseback riding, and revealed and entire bag fill of baked goods. Katherine was out on a errand that day.

I couldn't pretend not to notice that the duration of seeing Andy depended on her presence. Emily had told me that there had been whispers amongst the staff about the frequent fights between the couple- most of revolving around me. The "Saint Stephanie" incident had only added fire to her burning hatred of me. I suspected Andy kept this distance from me when she was around to appease her and keep the fighting at bay.

I never asked though. I didn't want the time we spent together to be spent discussing Katherine. Andy seemed to agree, he never uttered a work about her around me anymore.

Meanwhile, Issie had been teaching me how to dance. She informed me there would be no 'real party music' at a ball, and I'd need to know how to dance properly. Thus began my waltzing lessons.

Unsurprising, I was rather awful at first. Emily called me a dancing elephant. I couldn't quite get the graceful smooth movements down. But as the ball got closer, I found my feet stepping to the right place.

The castle too started to begin preparations as the ball ticked closer. Everything seemed to sparkle more than usual, new decorations were being bought in daily and everyone seemed just a little more livelier.

Soon enough, I found I couldn't help myself looking forward to the glamorous ball.

***

"Owwww!" I protested loudly, as my hair felt like it was been ripped from the scalp once more.

Emily grinned back sheepishly, "sorry. I'm almost done."

It was finally the night of the grand ball, and though it only started at eight, Emily had insisted on starting preparations at four. I had rolled my eyes and grumbled that it was way to much time, and I'd land up sitting around waiting. Well now it was seven thirty and I sat in a chair, scrubbed clean to the core, scented enough to start a fire and face painted. Emily had decided to tackle my hair last, knowing it would take the longest, and here we still were.

Despite my constant grumbling I was pleased with the result. I did smell really nice, my natural make up highlighted my features and my hair was gradually coming around. All that remained was the dress.

"Isn't Roberto supposed to be here by now?"

Emily put down the straightener and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly, "he is with Ms Isabella now, she has to be ready first to welcome guests with the rest of the Royal family."

I knew this already, but it didn't help calm the sinking pit in my stomach. I was worried about this dress. Roberto had refused to let me see the final product, insisting that it should be a surprise. Consequently, I had no idea what it looked like. The color, shape, style were all a mystery. I had seen a white piece of fabric draped around the body, and if the dress looked anything like it, I was going to have to suddenly come down with flu.

Which, admittedly, I really didn't want to do. I wanted to see Andy. I wanted to see him all dressed up and smile his crooked smile at me. Leading up to the ball I had only seen him for about 5 minutes a day, if I was lucky. Issie had reported that Katherine had decided to go everywhere with him.

Emily understood my silence, "I'm sure the dress is going to be lovely Stevie."

On cue, the door burst open and in came a flushed Roberto, carrying a white bag which could only hold my dress.

"I'm here. Im here! Time to make more dreams come true!"

I laughed, the crazy Italian man had grown on me. He surveyed me and smiled.

"Ms Emily has done a lovely job, you look good."

Emily and I smiled in mutual pleasure.

"But now, my dress will make you look beautiful! Behold!"

He hung up the white bag, and unzipped down the front. My eyes nearly popped out of my head. Here was a man who I was convinced had no clue what I liked, but he had created a dress that was me.

It was a deep fiery red. The bodice was made of lace, but contradicting but complimenting it in the same way, were strips of material making a pretty geometric pattern. It was cinched at my waist, and the skirt flew down effortlessly.

"It is you yes? Fiery, fun and beautiful."

All I say was, "lets put it on."

Roberto took it off the hanger. I slipped out of my robe and stood into the dress. Roberto zipped up the back. It fitted me like a glove. I turned round to face Emily who was standing by the full length mirror with the biggest smile on her face. Looking back at me from the mirror, was a blonde straight haired girl in a red dress, wearing an even bigger smile.

I felt beautiful.

I heard a sniffle from behind me, and turned to face Roberto who was lightly dabbing his eyes with a handkerchief.

"You are like Cinderella. I am like your fairy godmother! Now go to the ball and dance with the prince!"

I smiled happily. I was ready.