*~Chapter Twelve~*

Eyes like a car crash...I know I shouldn't look, but I can't turn away...

...body like a whiplash; sew my wounds but I can't heal the way I feel about you...

I watch you like a hawk.

I watch you like I'm gonna tear you limb from limb.

Will the hunger ever stop?

Can we simply starve this sin?

Levi stared blankly at the ceiling of his bedroom. The sun had long since sunk below the horizon left him in the dark; the only light came from the neon blue numbers of the clock to his right. The song played out, piercing him like needles in an abundance of places.

That little kiss you stole, it held my heart and soul. And like a deer in the headlights, I meet my fate.

Don't try to fight the storm, you'll tumble overboard...

...tides will bring me back to you.

The lyrics were little parasites, invading his mind, body, and soul through the tiniest pores. As they progressed, they destroyed him mercilessly from the inside out, and he let them.

On my deathbed, all I'll see is you.

The life may leave my lungs, but my heart will stay with you...

That little kiss you stole, it held my heart and soul; and like a ghost in the silence, I disappear.

Don't try to fight the storm, you'll tumble overboard.

Tides will bring me back to you...

Words. These words. In this particular combination, they were the epitome of his damnation.

The waves will pull us under...

"That little kiss you stole, it held my heart and soul...and like a deer in the headlights, I meet my fate..."

"Don't try to fight the storm, you'll tumble overboard..."

"Tides will bring me back to you..."

He let his eyes slide closed as he whispered the last words of the song, punctuating it with a sarcastic, breathy, insincere laugh.

"What a drama queen I've turned into," he muttered to himself. "Whatever. It's true."

He didn't expect to survive the night, not in this condition. He had nothing. Absolutely nothing. He was alone, a worthless piece of trash. Nobody cared. All he was doing was wasting space, oxygen, what little food he forced down his poor throat. There was nothing left for him. He might as well tie himself a noose and...

buzz, buzz

'Dammit, Alex,' he thought in annoyance as he reached for his phone on the nightstand. Despite the brightness setting being all the way down, the screen didn't fail to nearly blind him as he lit it up and held it in front of his face to unlock it. It took his assaulted eyes a minute to adjust before he realized the text message wasn't from Alex.

It was from Eren.

Quickly, he sat up, blinking rapidly to better clear his vision. His heart, which was only thumping pointlessly and slow in his chest a minute ago, was now in overdrive.

'What does he want? What's this about?' he thought nervously, anxiety bubbling in his chest. 'He hasn't contacted me in over a month, nor I him. And yet...'

He was reluctant to read the message. He had no inkling as to what it might say. Drawing in a deep, shaky breath, he held the device up again and let his eyes scroll across the short message.