The Legacy - Part 15

Start from the beginning

My uncle, Pete, and his wife, Dona, have also started coming by a couple of times a week. They feel terrible about everything, including the way they treated me in the past. They offered no excuses, they simply asked me to forgive them. Though I had forgiven them in my heart a long time ago, I'm thankful for the chance to tell them. And despite the sadness that fills me, I'm grateful for the opportunity to get to know them better.

"I guess I should go and prepare something for lunch," I finally say, breaking the silence. "Ingo will probably be hungry when he gets back."

Adagio reaches for my hand and stops me. "Lunch can wait, amore. I really think we need to talk." His voice is soft and full of longing.

"About what?" I ask, trying to hold on to the distance that feels so safe.

"About us. About our son."

I lower my eyes. "Our son is gone. There's nothing to talk about." When I try to pull my hand away, he holds it firmly. I manage to keep my voice calm, but a familiar turmoil fills my heart. "What do you want from me?"

 * * * 

Adagio struggles to bite back an angry retort and control the emotional anger now hovering close to the surface. Lifting Cisely's chin with his free hand, he forces her to look into his eyes. He clearly sees the emotional struggle in hers, but he needs to say this.

"I miss you, Cisely. I desperately miss my wife. And right now I feel more alone than I have ever felt in my life. I hate this feeling and I don't want to do this alone anymore. I can't." He waits for her to say something. When she doesn't, his frustration works its way to the surface. "Say something! Say anything!" His voice softens as he moves his hand to her cheek, caressing it softly. "Tell me you miss me too."

 * * * 

Freeing my hand from his, I turn away as tears flood my eyes and spill down my cheeks. "I'm sorry, but . . . I don't have anything to give you right now." I know I'm not being fair to him, but I can't seem to break through the wall I've built around myself.

He heaves a sorrowful sigh, tears filling his eyes. Wiping them before they can fall, he slowly moves to the door. When he turns back, my eyes meet those of a broken man–and I know it is my fault.

"Cisely, you have so much to give, but you will not give it, and you won't let me get close enough to comfort you in any way. I have tried, but I can't force you to accept my comfort, and I can't force you to give it. I shouldn't even have to. And I am not talking about a physical need, but an emotional one." When I say nothing, he again sighs sadly.

"Cisely, I know your heart is aching, and I know the pain is unbearable thinking about our son and what he must be going through. I know this because I go through exactly the same emotions every minute of every day. I can't heal your heart and I can't take the pain away. All I can do is be your husband and love you. But you have to let me. You have to let me into your heart."

He wipes his eyes once more. "I need you, Cisely, more than I have ever needed anything in my life, and I know you need me, too. Handling this alone is killing me, but I haven't had a choice. When you can finally see that you need my comfort as much as I need yours, let me know . . . and I will be here."

I press my face in my hands, not able to say anything, and unable face him right now. When I finally hear the door open and then close, I look up. Adagio has left, leaving me to tearfully ponder his words.

 * * * 

Velma and Ted drop Jessica and Ingo off just as Adagio comes through the front door. He thanks them before they leave, appreciating every effort they make to help. He smiles as Jessica walks up.