Chapter 1: "He's just a guy."

Chapter 1

The fingers of morning light stretched over my body, waking me up. I sighed as I remembered what day it was. How fun.

“Kaylyn, sweetie,” my mom buzzed over the intercom that was installed throughout our house. “Wake up, it’s your last day of high school!”

I sat up, stretched contently, and walked to the intercom by my bedroom door as I yawned. I pressed the buzzer and spoke.

“I’m up,” I said groggily. I went to my closet to get ready for the “big” day. I threw on a navy blue V-neck and a pair of jeans, brushed my light blonde hair, and put on a little mascara.

I slung my school bag over my shoulder and ran downstairs, seeing I only had twenty minutes before the bell rang. I grabbed a pack of strawberry pop tarts and hopped in my new black BMW. I had saved up for it since I was sixteen, when I just got my mom’s old car.

I drove the fifteen minutes to school while eating my breakfast, and picked up my best friend, Lilly, on the way.

“So, Kay, did you see the cover of People magazine this week?” Lil asked after she got in my car, twisting her brown hair between her fingers. I groaned.

“No, sorry, Lil, I haven’t,” I said in a bored tone. I didn’t really care about what was going on with the stars, but Lilly always had. She could tell you exactly who was going out with who in Hollywood before the press could.

“Well, Jack Stone was on it,” she squealed. “He is so yummy.” She began to daydream and I snapped my fingers in front of her face as I stopped at a stop sign. It had been vandalized to say ‘don’t stop believin’.

“What did he do now that the world is obsessing over?” I asked, annoyed. Lil picked up on this, and she pouted.

“You’re no fun,” she stated, looking out the window. “You’re the only person I know who doesn’t like Jack.”

“I don’t see a point in wanting to know his every move,” I sighed. “He’s just a guy.”

“And I’m just a girl who loves him,” Lil said.

“I swear,” I said, more to myself. “I don’t see why all the girls at our school, despite the fact that we’re all graduating in two days, are still obsessing over him.”

“Kay,” Lil said, and I glanced at her. “There has to be some wiring in your brain that was incorrectly connected.”

“Ha, ha, very funny,” I said sarcastically. “We’re at Hogwarts.” I pulled into my parking spot and took the keys out of the ignition, throwing them in my bag.

“Our last day in this hell hole,” I muttered under my breath. I couldn’t wait to start college. I’d gotten into the Los Angeles Film School with a partial scholarship, so I had to work to pay for the rest. I wanted to become a director. It was kind of funny that it was a partial scholarship, though, since I was valedictorian.

The warning bell rang, snapping me back to reality as I began to think about my future.

“Are you ready for Saturday?” Lilly asked, referring to graduation.

“If you mean to ask if my speech is ready, not so much,” I admitted. I was to be valedictorian, and I had to the whole speech to write. I was dreading it like a penguin would dread the desert.

“Well, I’ll see you in history,” she said as we walked inside the school, heading to our respective classes.

“Bye,” I called after her, then went to English. The bell sounded just as I sat down in the front, silencing all noise.