19| Girl Talk

"That one, definitely that one," Jenelle said, sprawled across the mattress, half-finished bottle of wine in hand. She'd made it back to Eva's in a record thirty minutes, arms loaded with a variety of other goodies and champagne. Because, according to Jenelle, this was a day worthy of celebration.

Turning back to the mirror, Eva ran her hands over slinky blue fabric that hugged, cupped, molded and caressed every inch of her body like a lover's hands. The colour was perfect for her olive complexion, and brought out the natural amber undertones of her eyes, turning them to molten gold.

"You don't think it's too...much for dinner?"

"Not at all," Jenelle dismissed with a swig of frothy bubbles. "Look what it does to your legs."

The short hemline made them appear longer, Eva thought, angling herself to the left and then to the right, checking the front and the back. Clearly all those early mornings of Yoga paid off, and then some.

"These shoes will complete the look," Jenelle instructed, rifling through to find a sexy pair of nude pumps, the soles a shade of sensual red.

"We don't wear the same size."

"Those are too small for me. I didn't know when I snatched them off a clearance rack that Louboutins run smaller than standard sizing. Otherwise I'd never part with them. I'd even contemplated losing a toe or hacking off a bit of heel," she joked. "Alas, they were at least pretty to look at."

"Didn't you stop to try them on before buying them?" Eva chided, slipping them on to find they fit snug, though dangerously high for someone who never wore heels.

"See, told you. The nude makes them disappear so you see nothing but leg. Gorgeous. You're wearing them," she said with a wave of bottle like a fairy godmother's magic wand.

Turning back to the mirror, Eva had to agree the overall effect was stunning. The last time she'd worn something like this...Eva frowned, actually, she'd never worn something like this.

She hadn't cared enough to try and dress up for Nate, and the brief time she'd been with Randy, Eva hadn't been brave enough to try.

"What's in these?" Because her toes were beginning to ache, Eva toed off the pumps and stooped to dig through one of a dozen bags Jenelle had brought back with her. And found wispy bits of silk and lace.

"They're all new. Still with the tags on," Jenelle assured, setting the bottle down on the nightstand next to the stemware she hadn't bothered to use.

"But there's..." Eva dug through the bag, counted, "at least a dozen, or more."

"What can I say? I'm a lingerie hoarder. And most of those are Parisian. Treat them with respect."

Lifting out a string black thong, Eva strung it between her fingers. The material was thin enough she could read a book through it. "When do you find the time to wear all of this?"

Smiling like a cat with many secrets, Jenelle shrugged. "With the right man it doesn't have to stay on for long. Just enough to knock him dead so you can bring him back to life."

Eva folded the negligee back into the bag, tied it shut. "And who am I supposed to do all that with?"

"My brother, of course. Come on, Eva. Tell me you're not thinking about jumping Marshall?"

Clearing her throat, Eva turned around. "I'm not, or wasn't...until recently. But tomorrow is just dinner, and who's to say we're going to take it anywhere after that? We could get to the restaurant and realize we have nothing in common, or misread the chemistry and that the kiss was an aberration-"