51: 4/5 Days Remaining - Death and Anger

______________________________

Elijah dragged me and Jayden down the tunnel.

I blinked a few times and shook my head to wake myself up. I didn't know what time it was or how long I'd been asleep but the next thing I knew, Grigori was pulling Jay and I up and pushing us through the exit. Eli had already warned me if I ran or tried to call anyone, he'd kill him. 

We walked up an amount of stone steps and down another tunnel. Soon enough, a bright light came into my line of vision. I squinted as we stepped outside. It was a huge circular opening that was probably covered by a rock... Or a boulder.

The sun was midway through the sky. Oh god it's halfway through the day. What will Gabriel do when I don't come home tonight? Hell will break loose tomorrow I know it.

Eli took an exaggerated deep breath. "What a beautiful day. And look! The snow is melting." 

"I wonder why." Grigori muttered and nudged me; I growled. I glanced at Jay. His body was slumping, his legs were shaking, his face was pale and his eyes were drooping. He wasn't fit to come outside. He wasn't fit to walk at all. I sighed. This is my fault. 

Eli tutted. "Control your strength, my dear. The only reason I'm letting you have an ounce of your power is because I need you to have it for what we're about to do. Or should I say what you're about to do."

They led us through the trees, Grigori occasionally nudging me or pushing me because I kept clearing the path of any snow. 

I could catch a few stray thoughts from Jay worrying about himself and me and what his parents were thinking. We stopped off at a river and they let us do our business. I had to pee in a friggin' ditch. A ditch! How horrible!

We stopped in a small clearing and I paused. 

A black haired man was slumped on the ground. His black wings were unmoving spread out around him as if they were paralyzed. He didn't look up as we entered and his body didn't react. 

Jayden gasped. 

I glanced at him. His eyes were wide and his mouth was squeezed to a thin line. I'd almost forgotten he'd only just found out what we were. Well, if he didn't believe me yesterday, then I'm sure he believes me now.

I felt sorry for him this morning. I was in absolute pain and he was helpless. He didn't know what to do. This morning, my back was worse than it has ever been. The loud cracks were deafening and were making Jayden cringe. My hearing was even more sensitive than before. Everything sounded sharp. My footsteps were like walking across gravel, the birds sounded like they were next to me... It was new and bizarre.

We started walking cautiously toward the man and the closer we got the less prominent I felt of his energy. Like he was slowly draining... He finally moved. His head slowly lifted. I glanced down at his hands and noticed they were chained in old fashioned looking cuffs. He was in a pair of battered old ripped jeans.

His extremely grey eyes moved over from Eli to Grigori. He looked at Jay for a minute and scoffed but then his eyes landed on me.

They widened and his wings suddenly came alive. 

"Lonsa. The Goddess of Power." He said in a very strong Enochian voice. 

His wings cracked and clicked into his back. He stood up despite the horrible chains on his hands and feet. But then he crouched down on one knee, bowed his head and arched his back foward.

He was bowing to me.

"Oh please don't," I said.

"He doesn't speak a word of English, Alexis." Eli said. "Speak your first language."

I cleared my throat. "Don't bow for me." I said in Enochian.

"What is she saying?" Jay said to someone. I wasn't paying attention though. 

The man in front collapsed back onto his bottom. "Why not? You're a God. You deserved to be worshipped--"

"Please stop." I mumbled.

Eli chuckled and started pushing me closer. He kept his hand on my arm as we towered over him. 

"This angel here used to be a Pure. Until he was strayed away from his path," He began in Enochian. Grigori started translating everything Eli was saying to Jayden. "It happens to the best of you. Angel's becoming Demon's happen often. Demon's can never ever revert back to a Pure it's physically impossible."

"I don't believe that," He said. "I believe there is a way--"

"Don't interrupt, it's rude." Elijah said. "Anyway; this Demon here has broken over 100 laws since the 13th century. He's been wanted all over our world and if he's caught its immediate death." Eli chuckled. "I have a simple task for you, Alexis." 

My jaw clenched.

"Kill him."

"No." I said immediately.

"Or, Jayden dies. It's simple really. You have options of ways to kill him. You use your enormous amount of power," He pulled out a knife. "You use this or, you make his life easier and kill him quick and painlessly. I suggest you don't do the last one. It doesn't help toward my plan."

I squeezed my eyes shut. "I don't even know how to do it like that."

Eli clapped his hands together with joy. "Oh that's good then! The knife or fire. Your choice."

The man didn't contribute to this at all. He just stared at the ground. 

"What is your name?" I said to him.

"Charlie." He glanced up at me. 

"How do you feel toward this?"

I chuckled. "I'd rather die by your hand than by those heartless guards or the Elders. It'd be an honor."

"See?" Eli said. "It'd be an honor!" His grey eyes suddenly turned dark and evil. "Now get on with it. Choose a method and do it quickly or slowly. I'm only here to influence your decision. Not what you do."

"Wait." I whispered in English. "I don't know if I can do this."

Eli turned me to face him. "This man is supposed to die. He either dies with us, or he gets caught by the guards and killed. You choose. You're doing him a favor."

"What does this do for me?" I asked.

A sly smile plastered on his face as he rubbed my arm. "You'll see."

I turned my attention to Jayden who was staring wide eyed at us. "Alex, don't do it."

I frowned. "I have to."

"You have a choice, Alex. You don't have to do this."

A cold and horrible feeling of realization passed through me. "Yes. I do. You're not going to die because of me."

"It's my life or his! It makes no difference." He yelled as best as he could.

Eli walked up to Jay and grabbed his face. I stepped forward to stop him but Grigori stopped me. "This man here," He pointed Jay's face in Charlie's direction. "Is no man. He is a selfish Demon. An impure soul. He is going to die no matter what. He is going to be caught either way. So Lonny is doing him a favor by killing him."

He let go and stood next to me again. "Take your time."

I looked down at the helpless demon. There was something about him... Something telling me that this demon was no demon. Like whoever strayed him from his path didn't make him entirely impure. From what I saw of his wings they were grey not black. He could still have a Pure bone in his body.

"I'd like to do something." I said to Eli.

I bent down to my knees and took the man's face in my hands. I lifted his face to look me in the eye. His gry eyes were sad; empty. Like they had no hope left in the world. Something inside of me took over. A sympathetic side. But I could see that, that wasn't the side Eli wanted for me to unlock.

"Charlie, do you mind if I...?"

A soft smile planted on his face. "It'd be an honor if you did."

I smiled and moved my hands further up his head. I shut my eyes but felt restricted so I scowled at turned to Eli. "Let me have my power."

He bowed with a smirk. "As you wish."

I could slowly feel my usual amount of power build up inside me but then a dose of unfamiliar power filled me. I shivered at the feeling and went back to concentrating on Charlie. I opened his mind and went through his memories.

I went through his most recent memories which were kind of blurred but filled with running and flying and hiding. All he did was hide. A woman popped into his mind. Beautiful memories of them both walking through the Angelic world or through earth were happy. But then she was taken. Not killed but taken. If I concentrated enough I could still feel her energy. The distance between us was very, very far and I wasn't sure whether Charlie knew if she was still alive.

I searched deeper and found when he was first corrupted... He was human. Blonde hair, brown eyes the year 1265. A demon tempted him to murder the king, he did, end of story. He ended up hung a couple of days later.

This man was loved. He was a Duke in his time. But he went off the rail during his first thousand years because of eternal damnation and the fact that he was a Demon and not an Angel.

He didn't deserve a brutal death. But I didn't know how to do it. I didn't...

Wait...

The beauty of manipulation is you can manipulate emotions. Manipulate how someone feels. I could make him feel nothing... make him feel no pain at all. Make it peaceful.

I opened my eyes and so did he. I rested my cheek against his and whispered, "You won't feel a thing," In his ear.

He nodded slowly.

I let every ounce of my power wash onto him. His body soon relaxed and a smile was on his face. I ripped off his hand cuffs and threw them to the side.