Chapter 6

Chapter Six- The Calling.

LPOV

Shadows. I saw shadows. I could feel my magic working, so I knew I was on the right track. However, I couldn't get a clear image, just flickers of colour. What had Adrian said about the first stage? I wondered. I tried sifting through our earlier conversation, trying to remember his exact words. I thought hard for a moment and then it came to me. Adrian had explained that the first stage- to walking dreams- was choosing a setting. The objective was to imagine a place that's attached to the dreamer, somewhere they regularly visit, to the point where they know it from top to bottom. If ones mind was to be intruded, it needed to believe the dreamer had created the setting, not the intruder. This was the hardest stage for beginners, Adrian had told me. Although, what that really meant was, he had found it incredibly hard when he'd started trying to walk people's dreams. The more times you went into ones mind, the easier it got, apparently.

There was only one person's mind I wanted to intrude and his name was Dimitri Belikov. Through his mind I could keep informed on his progress in hunting Rose. It was the only way I knew of, that could keep me somewhat connected to her. I could keep track of Dimitri's whereabouts and he could tell me how much Rose had changed in her transformation. It was wrong to intrude in ones mind but this was too big of an issue to worry about right and wrong. I missed Rose, so much, and it was killing me she was no longer here. I was alone, well, not really but I felt alone without her here. I felt lost and my emotions were all over the place. I wasn't acting normal; it had something to do with the bond being broken, which was something I had no control over. I wanted Rose back, I wanted to feel safe, and I wanted to feel in control. Rose was my best friend, she was like a sister to me, the only one I had left but now she was gone to. It seemed unfair- everyone I'd loved had been taken away from me and I hadn't done anything wrong. I didn't know what to do, who would be next? Would Christian leave me to? Adrian? Dimitri? When I thought about it, I didn't really have that many people close to me. And that thought scared me more then Rose's turning did. What if Rose killed Dimitri? That would be one down. What if Christian decided I wasn't the one for him anymore? Then he'd be gone to. And what if Adrian decided he didn't want to hang around children anymore, that's him gone. I would be on my own then. They'd all remember me as 'the princess who didn't have any friends.' A disgrace. A disappointment. That's what I was.

With a shaky breath I focused back on the task at hand. I needed to think of a place Dimitri knew well and visited often, in order to get the perfect setting for the dream. The academy seemed like the obvious place, but it was to big, I didn't know every room's layout perfectly- or how many rooms there actually were at the academy. So I'd have to focus on one room at a time. I thought about making Dimitri's room the setting then thought that would be stupid since I didn't know what his room looked like, or where it was. Where else did Dimitri go? The bathroom, a classroom, Kirova's office, the guardian meeting room, the gym? The gym! Of course! I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. Rose and Dimitri used to go to the gym every day, before and after classes to do training sessions.

He was her mentor and she his student, their actions influenced each other and they regarded their relationship as strictly professional even though they wanted it to be anything but. I knew the truth about them though- they were secret lovers in a forbidden romance. They loved each other deeply and it was the kind of love you only saw in fairytales, but this was no fairytale- this was the complete opposite; a nightmare. Especially how they were both on different sides. Their love now reflected beauty and the beast. Dimitri being the beauty and Rose, being a strigoi resembled the beast. It was quite unfortunate only one would survive this battle. If Rose won the fight, we'd all be in danger because no one else was strong enough to kill her, not even an army full of guardians could take down Rose, only Dimitri and it was her biggest test of strength yet.