Superior Senses - Chapter Two

By Laura x Tennant

URL: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6209739/2/Better_With_Two

A/N: Ten and Rose oneshot, obvs. The Doctor reveals something interesting D x

...

Superior Senses

Rose is lounging on the captain's chair reading a magazine when it happens.

She's flicking through, spending about ten seconds skimming each page, not really reading the words so much as she is simply pretending to. She's trying to look disinterested in what the Doctor is currently doing. She isn't. But she can't look at him, or he'll work that out.

(He's sitting on the floor surrounded by technological stuff, fixing the TARDIS. Nothing new there. Except today, he isn't wearing his jacket. He's just in his shirt, his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, tools and oil in and on his hands. Glasses perched on the end of his nose. Hair standing up every which way, looking even more ruffable than usual.

Rose isn't sure why this sight affects her so much.

But he is very sexy.

Hence, the magazine is a nice distraction.)

Lost in her thoughts, she doesn't realise the Doctor is kneeling behind her, peering over her shoulder. Therefore, she jumps rather spectacularly when he speaks.

"Are human men really that oblivious?" he asks her, his nose wrinkling and brow crinkling in confusion.

After her little jump about five feet in the air, she mumbles an exasperated, "What?"

"That article you're reading. Do men really not have a clue?" he asks innocently.

She looks down at the page she hadn't been reading, and sees what he's going on about.

She's a bit mortified.

She blushes. "Um..." she replies, not really sure how to answer that question.

To her horror, he takes the magazine out of her hands and starts to read the article avidly, his expression shifting from confusion to distaste in a moment. "What?" he mutters to himself.

Rose swallows thickly, and tries to snatch the magazine back. But he jumps out of her way, and starts pacing around the console with it, dodging past her every time she leaps to take it off him.

"What?" he mutters again. "That's easy."

Rose isn't sure what he's referring to but she's very sure she doesn't want to know.

(She is a liar. Of course she wants to know.)

"I really don't understand why you humans don't even understand each other," he says distractedly.

Rose huffs and puffs. "Doctor. Give it back."

"No, no...this is interesting."

"Interesting?"

"Mmhmm."

"Why?"

"Weeelll, it makes me realise exactly how good I am," he tells her, grinning cockily.

"Oh. I thought you were reading it to try and get some tips or something," she teases, a small smile creeping onto her face.

"Oh no, I have the moves - "

" – but you wouldn't want to boast? Yeah. You told me that already," she says. A little irritably, she realises, but seriously, she's been waiting for a good year and a bit now for him to actually show her those moves. Not that he ever will, she knows that. It's still frustrating.