Chapter 4

The rest of the week passed without incident and I began to fall into a routine. When Saturday came I was, however, exhausted.

I flopped down on the bed, tired. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was lying, in bed, alone. I hadn’t seen a lot of anyone over the week outside of class and I had rarely seen Niall at all. He came home after I was sleeping and left before I was awake. But nothing was happening, right?

I rolled over and pulled out my book, planning to read for an hour before curling up and going to sleep. That’s when I heard the hurried footsteps and hushed voices. I recognised the voice of the man that had spoken to us the first day of term and a woman. I focused on the sound of their voice, trying to find out what their heated argument was about.

“The treaties broken, all we need is the declaration of war from the vampires now,” The man said to the woman.

“Are you sure that’s what happened?” the woman asked, letting out a frustrated sigh.

“I’m sure Miranda.” The man replied.

“So what do we do now?” she asked in a quiet voice.

“Not a lot we can do, just wait for the declaration of war.” And with that I heard the hurried footsteps continue down the hall until I couldn’t hear them.

Declaration? I knew what that meant. Someone had entered Coven territory and now the vampires were declaring war.

After I had heard this I did the only thing I could think of, I pulled out my cell and hit speed dial. The phone rang twice and my dad picked up.

“Hello?”

“Dad, it’s me, Kitty.” I said in an unsteady voice, taking a deep breath. He must have heard the uncertainness in my voice.

“What is it? Are your brothers’ okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, the boys are fine, but I just heard something I think you should hear.” I replied.

“What?” he demanded

*Here it goes…..”

I told him everything I had heard and he began quizzing me with rapid questions.

“Are you sure that’s what you heard?” he asked me for something like the twelfth time.

“Positive.” I said, there was no hesitancy in my reply.

“Okay, thanks for telling me. I’ll look into it, but for now let’s keep this between us.” He suggested.

“Dad, you know that I can’t keep anything from Luke. He’ll know something’s up.” I reminded him in a tired voice.

“Keep it between us and if he figures out something is up, then you can tell him.” My dad compromised.

“Okay. And if what I heard is right I think we’ll be getting sent home soon.” I told him.

“Okay, see you soon.” He said cheerily.

“Yeah see you soon.” I said, but he’d already hung up.

A second later Niall walked in. he threw his jacket on the bed and kept his back to me as he sat down and removed his shoes. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Nothing.” I lied.

**

The rest of the day and Sunday past without fault although, although I felt guilty for not telling Niall or Luke. I felt worse for not telling my brother because in sixteen years I had never hidden anything from him and we always knew when the other was lying. I knew he would understand and that made me want to tell him more, but the Alpha had spoken and unless Luke approached me and asked me directly what was going on, I couldn’t tell him.