Chapter Twenty: Reunited

December 31, 1890

The journey up to Wellington has gone quite smoothly. We took the express train so the trip has only taken just under six days and had minimal stops as compared to the cheaper one that had stops at every train depot along the way. The children have been excited to meet my family and during the whole train ride they have delighted in all the sights and sounds. Mikey is now fascinated with trains, and has been talking to the conductor several times during the journey where he is asking so many questions that I fear he will overstay his welcome. But the conductor seems to have a knack with children and has patiently allowed Mikey to sit with him at the head of the train while he explained the inner workings of being a conductor. 

We are due to arrive shortly, and the anticipation of seeing my family and friends is intoxicating as Travis puts it. Because of my overt enthusiasm, he and the children have been almost as eager as I am to arrive. Yesterday, while we had a stop in Kentucky, the children had a chance to see snow for the first time. They did not get to touch it yet as it was just a short stop to only allow passengers to board or get off the train. My stomach is getting very hard to conceal now, as it's beginning to grow larger with each passing week. Thankfully I have plenty of layers on to keep warm and help hide my pregnancy until I can surprise my family with the news. I have been keeping my promise to Travis, Mrs. Cox, and my doctors about resting as much as possible, but some days I feel frustrated because I just want to go back to my normal routine and not be so dependent upon everyone. Just last night as I felt the baby moving and kicking within me, I placed Travis's hands upon my belly and watched as his eyes lit up in surprise and joy when he was able to feel our baby move under his touch. Ever since that first moment, he has now been constantly feeling my belly. I loved being able to see the profound joy in his eyes. Even though he's already been a father, it's almost as if his reactions are that of a first time dad. Perhaps Rebecca had never allowed him to feel her own belly as she carried both Mikey and Hope? I must remember to ask Travis about that sometime as I confess that I am most curious to know. Since we are arriving very shortly, I have already packed up all of our belongings and the bags are waiting quite nicely by our personal compartment door. As a matter of fact, as I write this, one of the train workers just yelled that we are about to arrive at our stop in Wellington. At last! I will finally get so see everyone that I have been missing so much over the last six months.

     Sophia quickly closed her journal and stuffed it inside her traveling reticule, along with the bottle of ink that she plugged up with the cork in order to prevent it from leaking. She wrapped up the quill so the wet tip would not stain the contents of her bag and put them inside. 

     The children, after hearing the now familiar whistle of the train which meant it would be stopping, eagerly began to put on their new jackets, hats, and mittens to keep them warm from the colder temperatures that they had never been exposed to before. Sophia shook Travis in order to wake him up.