Part 10

Neji and Hinata found Naruto a few days later, again on the fourth Hokage's head. He sat with his knees up, arms resting on them, staring down at Konoha. The blond hadn't been speaking with them all that often, only talking to Shino and the others, and they, Neji and Hinata, were beginning to worry. He was quieter than he used to be, but he at least spoke some. Now he just silently stared at them if he saw them.

"Naruto, are you okay?" Hinata asked softly. They stiffened, waiting for a reaction, hoping if they didn't breathe, they could hear him say something. Of course, they still heard nothing. They sat slightly behind the blond, just to be near him, make sure he was okay, and to think on some things. They didn't know what Naruto was doing back in Konoha. It was quite obvious he hated being in Konoha, and when they heard him talking to his group of friends, he sounded like he'd had such fun other places. Good memories elsewhere. Awful ones in Konoha.

Naruto tipped suddenly, startling Hinata. She figured she would look up and find him falling asleep, but that wasn't the case. His eyes were trained on her, and for just a minute, Hinata could see every bit of pain Naruto was feeling. Her heart hurt and her eyes watered. Some day, she would figure out what happened to him, but for now, she settled for being his support. She scooted forward a little, and Naruto's head fell on her shoulder. Hinata felt Neji's eyes on her, and she looked over to see him somewhat smiling at them. Then he too scooted forward, and neither missed the small smile that spread across Naruto's face.

But Naruto wasn't happy about the feeling of happiness taking over. He felt so loved suddenly, with Shino, Tenten, Lee and Sai. Jiraiya and Tsunade spoiled him rotten, and now even Sasuke and Sakura were acting somewhat nicely. And then there was Hinata and Neji. Naruto felt certain if he kept getting closer to them, he'd eventually spill and tell them everything. Then they'd hate him. But that wasn't what bothered him most. It was that he felt guilty. Guilty that the guilt he felt was disappearing. He should feel the guilt. He had to. He'd done so many horrible things, and he had to pay it all back. He had to feel that guilt.

But still the smile spread. It stretched his face, and Naruto couldn't stop the relief from flooding through him, nor the strangeness of forgetting about his guilt. Just looking at the two beside him made him happy. Naruto had never felt such a thing, and it was awkward for him. He wondered if they knew how happy he was.

Naruto stood up abruptly. He couldn't be feeling happy. He needed to feel the pain, the guilt, and the trauma. He needed to know how they felt. He wouldn't allow himself to run, and he wouldn't allow himself to be happy. So he left the fourth's head.

Only, Hinata followed him. She chased him, keeping with his speed the whole time, surprising Naruto. He wasn't slow he knew, so Hinata had obviously gotten faster.

"Naruto, what's wrong?" she asked when Naruto stopped. He looked at her blankly, unblinking. Hinata took a deep breath and stepping forward, reaching to touch Naruto's cheek with her hand. He flinched, and tried to move back, but she pressed her hand more firmly against, looking into his eyes. "Answer me."

Naruto looked away, above her, at his feet; anywhere but her eyes. She grew tired of him avoiding her face and touched his other cheek, pulling his head down so he stared into her eyes. He looked frightened; the last expression Hinata expected to see.

"Naruto, can't you trust me?" Hinata's question stayed unanswered though, when Naruto grabbed her hand. He rested his head on her shoulder and sighed.

"I really want to tell you. But you'll hate me." He tensed, as if expecting Hinata to push him away, but she just hugged him, hoping it would comfort him.

"Nothing you could say could make me hate you, Naruto. I may not know what you went through, but I see the pain and guilt you suffer; I see it was horrible, but I will not hate you. You don't have to tell me now, but please rely on me a little more. I want to be your support." Hinata slowly rubbed Naruto's back. He relaxed, and his body started shaking, and Hinata knew he was crying.

"Thank you, Hinata. Thank you so much," he said. But still he did not tell her.

So sorry for the lack of updates! We just had some friends from a few states over come visit, and they stayed for about a week, so I didn't have time to update. But bleh, now I'm kinda depressed(which is why-in my mind- this part isn't that good). Anyway, I should be updating more frequently now, so thanks for waiting. Thanks so much for reading!