Chapter 22

The father-son duo approached the doors to the Chancellor's office and waited to be allowed in. Once the doors were opened, a tension caught in the air and Luke double-checked to make sure he had his lightsaber.

     He felt an odd sense of déjà vu from when his father had originally brought him to meet the Emperor back on the Second Death Star. And he remembered what happened after that confrontation.

     Taking a deep breath, Luke followed his father's steps as they walked inside. The Chancellor was sitting at his desk, looking calmly innocent...but Luke knew better. 

     "Chancellor." Anakin said with a low bow.

     And even though sickened by the thought of ever bowing down to the Sith Lord, Luke bowed as well, even though it was more of a lower of his head.

      "We have just received a report from Master Kenobi. He has engaged and killed General Grievous." Anakin stated formally, and Palpatine acknowledged with a nod of his head.

     "I am glad Master Kenobi was up to the challenge." He said simply.

     "Yes, he was. I'm beginning to think him going alone was a good thing, despite my desire to accompany him on the mission." Anakin said.

      Palpatine paused, surprised that Anakin had not complained about the Council not listening to him, like he normally did.

     Luke was now more than a nuisance...he was putting a dent in the Sith's main plan. He had Anakin on a tight leash, but Palpatine knew he had the Jedi Knight tighter. Quickly, he pulled on that said leash.

     "Yes...but it is upsetting to me to see that the Council doesn't seem to fully appreciate your talents. Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi Master?"

     Anakin shrugged, slightly agreeing but slightly not. "I guess. But it's as Luke said...I have to be patient. They'll realize in time."

     A broad smile crossed Luke's face as he radiated with pride and relief. His father was changing.The only thing he had to do now was worry about his nightmares of Padmé...he had to know they weren't true.

     "They don't trust you, Anakin. They see your future. They know your power will be too strong to control. Anakin, you must break through the fog of lies the Jedi have created around you. Let me help you to know the subtleties of the Force." Palpatine pressed, knowing exactly which words to use as he slowly stood from his chair, standing between the Skywalker boys.

     Anakin narrowed his eyes, suddenly remembering Luke's words.

     '...when we next see this certain Sith Lord, you'll know...'

     "How do you know the ways of the Force?" Anakin asked, his hands on his lightsaber.

     He glanced at Luke to see the boy's face emotionless, but slight worry and fear echoed off of him.

     "My mentor taught me everything about the Force . . ." Palpatine paused, ready to reveal the punch line. Now was the time...he had Luke vulnerable and Anakin's sway, no matter how much he leaned towards his son, would definitely come through. That much he knew. "...even the nature of the dark side.

     Anakin's blood chilled as he saw Luke's face pale and his position shift in anticipation. Warnings tingled through the Force, but both Skywalker's let it be for the time being. The danger was obvious enough at this point. However, the fact that the Sith Lord Luke had spoken about was the Chancellor, was just too crazy to even be logical to Anakin. He knew the man so well...and boy had he been wrong.