Chapter 2 [Fireworks]

Chapter 2:

It was just approaching sundown and the games were coming to an end as the officials set up the fireworks to be lit later on. He was cold, he was wet and his body ached like nobody’s business. Despite the hot temperature of the day, the water was as cold as an ice dome and the evening air was bringing a cool breeze with icy effects to the atmosphere. But that’s just how he liked it!

Stefanos was on an adrenaline rush. They had just finished the Jet Ski race, and he had won. He didn’t care who came in second, all he knew was he was the victor and Thane was not. He didn’t care that Thane had remained champion at his rowing sports and perfected the parasailing. He only lost by a millisecond in the sailboat racing to Leonidas, as he hadn’t anticipated his brother would have anted up his game and be competition, but he should have been prepared for it. Nonetheless it was one of the best days of his life. Despite having only won one event- the Jet Ski race, he was feeling rather exuberant as he made his way back to the yacht.

“I thought someone said that I’d have major competition this time in rowing,” Thane taunted as he brushed past Stefanos to climb onto the yacht first.

The usual sore loser, worst winner banter between the pair ensued. “I almost had you! You have to admit, I almost had you.” Stefanos held up his right index finger and thumb about a millimetre apart.

“Almost doesn’t count, Young Prince,” Thane countered before walking off.

“He’s right,” Leonidas said from behind him, “It doesn’t count. Just like you losing your claim at dominating the sailing events this year. You can’t say you almost dominated.”

With that Leonidas also brushed past Stefanos to get onto the yacht.

Though he was the first one to get back to the yacht, he was the last to get on board, and by that time, everyone had already dried off and changed into clean clothes. His brother’s words got to him a little bit, but he tried not to show it. He knew that Leonidas and Thane were just taunting him, but his pride still took a little jab at the words. To make matters worse, the first thing he saw when he entered the deck was Tatiana and Sebastian snuggled up together, sharing a blanket.

The blonde tornado was still working on his cousin, he thought bitterly. It was probably her way of getting to him. Ignoring the pair as he had the entire day, only keeping tabs on them at intervals, Stefanos went to change out of his wet suit.

Upon his return, he noticed that everyone had decided to pair up and share blankets as they awaited the fireworks display. Leonidas sat with Elise, and she was laughing at something he just said. The two looked very much in love and Stefanos found their smiles infectious when he looked at them. Lucian sat with Helena and they were pointing out stars in the sky to each other and laughing at the shapes or whatever it is they were looking at. Beside Sebastian, he spotted a vacant seat, then Ariel with her head resting on Thane’s shoulder. The girl looked close to falling asleep but kept nodding slightly at whatever Thane was telling her. Accra was nowhere to be seen though.

“Where’s the grandmother?” he asked, going to sit between Ariel and Sebastian.

“She’s with mom and dad,” Ariel said over a yawn, head still resting on Thane’s shoulder. “She said that she didn’t want them to think she abandoned them for us because they aren’t cool enough. Her words, not mine.”

“You upset about your near victory?” his cousin asked him before he could respond to Ariel. Everyone knew how much he wanted to be number one at the sailing events, so he mentally prepared himself for the taunting he was undoubtedly about to endure.

“Nah, it’s all good.” Which wasn’t really the truth, but he had too much pride to admit otherwise.

“Are you sure? You took a while getting back out here. You weren’t crying in the changing room were you?” Leonidas asked with a smirk.