Chapter one

(BOOK TRAILER LINKED ABOVE)
A small disclaimer:

This book isn't a religious book, it is far from it, but it does involve  religion which makes this story even juicer. I don't recommend reading if your under like 13 because there's a lot of language, violence, and sexual content. Thanks and enjoy! ;)
-
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved." My father spoke boldly and clearly. "Aphesians 2: 4-5." I finished his sentence under my breath. I looked up and locked eyes with him. His brows raised about a half an inch and then his attention was back to his preaching. That verse had been pounded and embedded in my head over the course of the summer, because of the new arrangements I was going to be put in for my junior year in high school. I remember it like it was yesterday.

"Charlotte, honey, get down here. I need to speak to you!" My fathers deep voice boomed from the bottom of the stairs. I made my way quickly down the wooden steps and into the living room. The look on his face wasn't pleasant. Was I in trouble? I hadn't been in any real trouble a day in my life. I had only seen that look on his face once and that was when we got the news of my mothers passing.

I sat down slowly in the love seat, with my back straight up against the back of the chair. "What ever it is, just tell me." I spoke quickly, eager to hear the news.

"You know things have been...harder around here since your mother died. Including money." He looked down at his polyester pants legs and brushed them of rinkles.

I shrugged, "I guess so. Dad, are we losing the house?" I frowned. He shook his head quickly. "No sweetie, worse." He gulped. "I'm afraid FCBS isn't an option for schooling anymore due to the pricing." I bit my lip to hold back laughter. "That's the big news?! Oh my word. Dad, you made it out to be like someone died. You had that look on your face-" I cut myself off, letting out a small giggle. FCBS stood for Florida Christian Boarding School. It was very expensive. About $1200 a month. I had gone since the 6th grade when my mother got sick and couldn't home school me anymore. It was a good school. My grades were always excellent. It was very christian, very strict, and very pristine. But that never meant I actually enjoyed attending.

I had been wondering for years what was outside the walls of FCBS. What other experiences I could experience without the restrictions and watchful eyes of the faculty. What was it like not to have to wear skirts down to my ankles and ugly brown penny loafers neck cut shirts every single day? What was it like to have friends that for there idea of fun wasn't  to have a game of bible trivia at the school library? There were so many possibilities that were so surreal to me.

"Charlotte, this isn't a joke!" He snapped. My smile quickly turned into a straight face. He pushed his glasses onto the top of his head with the top of his wrist. He sniffled. "The only other choice we have right now is-"

"Thomas Jefferson high school." I finished his sentence. It was my local public school and the complete opposite of FCBS. "Yes." He said almost as if it pained him and in a way it did. "If this is going to work there needs to be boundaries and rules." He reached across and grabbed my hands. "With me but most importantly, with God." He cracked a half smile. He recited aphesians 2: 4-5 to me. It was like it was going to be the anthem of the rest of my school days.

This was back at the very beginning of June, actually a few days after I returned from boarding school. The transition was a little weird as it always was but I had gotten use to it quickly. I always did and now I sat there in the church, the day before my first day of school listening to him preach a sermon most definetly directed towards me. It was the same things over again. Abstinence is key... Blah blah blah is the whole jist of it, really.

I think my father trusted me in that area, I was just hoping I did too.
-

Instagram: makennaleo_

snapchat: makennaleonard

twitter: kennaeleo