Prologue

I turned to my Mum, uncertain. She quickly assured me, for the fiftieth time today.

"It only hurts to get the Dark Mark, sweetie. And if you get on his nerve, he'll probably torture you,"

"That helps a lot," I sighed, running a hand through my hair and looking around at the people in the tight circle.

"Yes.." His raspy voice called, smiling maliciously at us all, "Who would like to go first?"

I raised my trembling hand, stepping forward with a look of confidence.

"I would,"

"Brave little soul.. Come here, girl," He barked.

I took a few hesitant steps towards him, trying to look him in the eye although failing many times. He grabbed my arm and pressed the tip of his wand to it. I had to hold in the screams. I felt like I was being burned alive- Like a thousand knives were piercing my skin. It was over as soon as it started.

He nodded at me and I stepped back into the circle, putting my head down as I listened to the tortured screams of the others as they, too, got their Dark Mark. I glanced down at my arm. My Mum gently grabbed it, smiling at me.

"You'll get used to it soon enough, darling. You'll understand eventually. Then this will all be normal," She whispered in my ear, watching as everyone else got their Dark Mark.

"How can you watch this with no emotion?" I said in a low voice.

"Because the Dark Lord always has a plan. He's doing what no one else was brave enough to do by cleansing the wizarding world and purifying the bloodline of all the future wizards to come," she stated passionately.

I nodded slowly, trying to make sense of what she was saying. Then I turned defiantly to stare at the person who was screaming in agony as The Dark Lord pressed his wand to his arm, holding it to keep it still as the person crumpled to the ground in a heap. I watched as the Dark Lord finally let go, and the person sobbed, clutching his arm to his chest, although I knew the pain was over.

"I think that's all of them," the Dark Lord muttered, and then turned to us with an evil smile on his face, "Welcome to the Dark Side!"

I, along with everyone else in the tight circle, clapped, with somewhat hesitant smiles on all our faces.

"It's a pleasure to serve you, My Lord," A brave soul said, taking a small step out of the circle.

I was only thirteen- I had no idea what was going on, or who I was supposed to become. Or who I wanted to become. All I knew was that I was going to stay in the safety of my mother's arms, even if I had to join the Dark Lord to do so.

*~*~*