9

Gracie
"And then finally she is Clara, my personal assistant." I say as I wrap up the task.

"Hi Clara." He says adorably, cocking his head to one side, smiling at her.
"Hey." Clara went red from head to toe. She looks so flushed. Alastair still has that effect on women around him. I clear my throat.

"You've got a lively bunch around here." He says, as he settles into the office.
"Yeah, publishing and news is a creative field, we have people bursting with ideas over here. It's great to work with them." I say, opening the lid of the pen and signing some pending documents.

"You seem to love your work." He says, looking at me carefully.
"Yes I do. It's always been my passion, to be around books and words." I say, smiling at him. "What happened to your life? How was it? The journey from bottom to the top?"

"More like struggle. But it was worth it. Like an adrenaline rush." He says breezily.
"Just like you get an adrenaline rush when you drive." I look up, biting my lip. "I do remember."
"What happened to your dearest Vespa?" He asks grinning like an idiot.
"I sold it. I still miss it you know." I say pouting.

He gulps. "I've missed you."
Now that was unexpected. I'm taken aback. What do they say in situations like these?

"I missed you too." I whisper.
"You're still as lovely as ever. And I'm still so much fond of you." He says smiling down at me lovingly.
"Thank you." I say like an idiot, not knowing what to say.

He bursts out laughing. He leans back and laughs in full force. Okay I am a lousy stupid girl, but that doesn't mean you keep giggling at me.
"Stop laughing okay?" I say controlling my own smile.

He just kept on laughing. "Okay fine." I stomped my foot and started to head towards the door.
He clutched my hand. Blood rushed in gallons throughout my body as electricity hit waves where he touched.
"I'm sorry okay. Don't leave." He says softly and urgently.

I turn around. "Alastair, why did you leave? Without telling me? Without a goodbye? You just walked away, trampling me all over, why?"

Oh no, why did I say that? Why did I let those words get out of my mouth? He looks at me with a pained and shocked expression. I just ruined the light moment we were having. I think it was the overwhelmness of the moment, that I just blurted out what I've been thinking of for years.
"Do you really want to talk about it?" He asks, after opening his eyes, which were shut tightly close.

"I don't know." I say, running my fingers through my hair.
"Please sit here with me. I might just tell you, but not now. Later maybe." He mumbles.
"It's not right. This isn't supposed to happen." I say.

"Grace, whatever happened to the 'live in the moment' attitude? Why are you stressing about the future and the past so much? Can't we just hang out, like friends?"

I snap my head at him. Friends? Seriously? You have a year long relationship with someone, an intense one at that, you share a beautiful yet tragic past, you sleep with them for God's sake, and then you want to be friends? I look at him in disbelief. How can you be just friends with someone who once meant the whole damn universe to you? Oh yes, he doesn't love me like I love him now. He's already moved on. It's like a knife stabbed in my heart, but hey, I've been going around with a knife in my heart since seven years. "Are you even serious?" I say hoarsely.

He rubs his forehead. "Let's just forget that I've said anything. Let's just continue with our work."

I stop my tears from coming out.
Clara knocks at the door at the exact instant. "Mr. Kerr, Mr. Robert wants to talk-" she becomes quiet when she looks at his hand clutching my wrist. He drops my hand and I feel his absence on my skin. "I'm coming." And he got up and left, not before looking back and giving me another intense look.

Alastair
I race my car through the streets. I've been a demented dumbfuck again. 'Friends?' How dumb was that. Of course she'll feel bad. All I wanted was to be close to her. I knew I couldn't get her again, or even be in the background of her life, so I said that stupid line. Maybe as a friend, I would atleast be a 'somebody' in her life. But I officially ended up ruining my only chance with her. That look on her face pained me, I should just die after doing this to her every single time.

I reached home and switched on the mean machine. Voicemails started out immediately. I started to loosen my tie as an assistant from Washington blabbered about. The second voicemail was also from some client. I stopped in my tracks when I heard the third voicemail.

Babyyy, I love youu. I'm missing you a lot and I want to meet you. Can I come to California?
Oh fuck, Paige.

I went to my phone and called her.
"Oh you miss me so much that you called me as soon as possible?" She says.

"Yeah yeah, what I'm saying is, why are you coming to California?" I say hastily.
"You're talking as if you don't want me to come." She says angrily.
Because I don't want you to come.

"It's not that-" I butt in.
"Don't tell me you've found someone else." She says in a tiny voice.
Oh yes I have. Old love.

"C'mon, I love you baby, what I'm saying is that the conditions aren't favourable right now. I'm busy, how will we spend time together? I'll call you when I've completely settled." I say. How can she not see through the fakeness?

"Oh sweetie, okay. I'll talk to you later okay?" She coos. "And by the way I've sent you a naughty picture of mine. Do check it out."

I roll my eyes at the phone and sleep without even opening the picture.

___________________________
Vote and comment :)