Chapter 37 The End

Începe de la început

"DAD!" he said in a harsh whisper, mindful not to wake anyone. "Don't I'm too old for that now. I'm a big brother, not a little boy!"

Callen laughed, "You are seven years old and in no way, too old." He looked at the chairs being set up by the catering staff who had turned up an hour earlier. "You keeping Scrat away from the workers?" he asked.

Jake nodded solemnly. "Of course, he knows it's special today. When's grandma Hetty getting here?"

"Soon." Callen looked up as the curtains opened in the newer part of the house where Wanda and Bert were staying. "You wanna help me take up a coffee to Grandma and Grandpa?" he turned to head toward the kitchen as he heard a car pull up. "We'd better hurry Aunt Sue is here to help your mom."

Jake screwed his face up for a second and then headed towards the house whistling for his dog as he went.

Scrat ran around their legs as they entered the family kitchen.

"Mr Callen...Good morning!" the catering manager smiled as they entered.

"Hey Marie, is it ok if we just borrow the coffee for a second." he leaned towards the pot as she waved him away. "Mr. Callen, this is your wedding day too. You know I promised you a full service, There is a full breakfast set up in the dining room on trays ready to be taken up. Your parents have a tray ready to go and I assume your soon to be sister in law will be taking up the bride's tray."

"So I can't make Grandma's breakfast?" Jake asked his face falling a bit.

"It won't be ready if you don't Jake. I need your help with this important bit and then you and your father can take it up." Marie smiled.

Callen nodded in thanks as she handed Jake napkins and a small spray of flowers to go on the tray.

As they turned to walk up Marie called them, "Jake...you forgot your grandpa's paper, you know he likes that in the morning."

Jake nodded and ran to carry it up the stairs. He had always liked Marie even when he was small and she had been helping out at the diner on weekends before she had branched out into the catering business on her own. She had jumped at the chance to be a part of this wedding and was going to do everything in her power to make it perfect.

As they turned to the stairs a call came from the front door.

"Hellllooooo!" The high pitched voice came, "Where's my little man?"

"Daddy save me!" Jake whispered.

"Sue, Just in time...I have Joelle's breakfast ready!" Marie called out as she walked past and high fived Jake who grinning ran after his father.

Sue distracted by the caterer turned to help out. "Of course anything I can do."

As they got to the top of the stairs and turned the corner, Jake leaned against the wall fanning himself with the paper, "Phew that was close!" he exclaimed dramatically. "Scrat...you may have to eat her later." he said full of seriousness. Callen suppressed the urge to laugh.

"He can't eat your Aunt Susan...she'll give him stomach ache."

Jake screwed up his face as he thought it over, "Yep...ok Scrat. You can't eat the auntie."

"Come on Jake you wanna knock the door for me?" he asked.

Jake made sure the paper was smooth again and knocked the door.

"Come in!" Bert's voice came from inside.

Callen nodded as Jake opened the door. "Grandpa, Grandma...we got you breakfast, you gotta wake up, mom and dad are getting married today."