✨ c h a p t e r t w o ✨

I stayed in bed for the majority of the next day, just thinking about nothing and everything. There were too many thoughts going through my mind at once so I tried falling back asleep. When that didn't work, I simply laid in bed with my earphones in. For a while I was comfortable, but then my ears began hurting from the positions I laid in. Eventually, I made myself get up. It was nearing four in the afternoon. I was in a white spaghetti strap top and flannel pants. Frankly, I didn't care what I was wearing. The scars on my arm were visible and exposed today.

I went downstairs and began making a cup of coffee for myself. The house was quiet today. My aunt and uncle were probably out working. Once the milk began boiling, I added the coffee powder, staring outside the window. The storm lasted for a mere hour, disappearing as quick as it came. People were outside, enjoying the day. It wasn't too sunny, but it wasn't too cloudy either. The beach wasn't crowded at all, which was a rare sight.

Once my coffee was ready, I poured it into a portable cup. I grabbed my phone and keys, making my way out the back door. I found myself walking back to the pier, sitting down at the edge. My legs dangled freely as I thought back to last night (or early morning today). I didn't know what I was more upset about, the fact that I was saved or the fact that this is the third time I failed.

"Are you planning on jumping again?" a familiar voice interrupted. I didn't turn around, simply shaking my head. He came and sat down next to me, leaving a bit of space between us. "Roman," he said. I glanced at him with a questioning gaze. "My name."

"Abigail," I said. He nodded. I sipped my coffee slowly, watching the water move. He didn't say anything and neither did I. I wanted to question him, ask him why he's sitting down with me and all; but I refrained from doing so. He wasn't doing any harm or even annoying me.

"What's your favorite color?" I was silent for a moment, just pondering. He began picking at the board, playing with the wood. He ran his fingers through his hair, glancing at me occasionally.

"Black." He nodded slowly.

"Black isn't a color."

"It's the absence of light, I know."

He was quiet for a moment before asking me another question.

"What's your favorite food?"

"Ice cream."

"Flavor?"

"Butter pecan."

"That's different."

"I'm different." I noticed him glance at my arms but he didn't comment.

"How so?" This time, I was silent. How was I different?

"I'm not like any normal girl you'd meet," I answered. He nodded.

"Why's that?" I didn't know how to answer that. I was getting annoyed with his questions.

"I don't know," I muttered. He leaned back on his arms, swaying his feet.

"Why not? I mean, shouldn't you know you more than anyone else?" I closed my eyes tightly, taking a deep breath.

"Why does this matter to you? Why are you asking me so many questions? Why can't you leave me alone?" I retorted, looking at him. He didn't seem fazed by my outburst which kind of annoyed me.

"You intrigue me."

I sat there stunned for a moment before grabbing my things. I got up, walking past him. Something about his answer made me feel uneasy. I knew if I stayed, I'd be in trouble.

A/N: sorry the chapters are short, I promise it'll be longer!