Chapter 14: Mischief

I was afraid. There were no other words to describe the terror I was feeling. I wanted to run as far away from Jace and I possibly could but I didn't want to live my whole life hiding. I looked Zander in the eye. "I'm going to go face him." He looked at me with a mixture of shock and concern. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked me. "I'm sure." I said. I leaned in to kiss his cheek but I stop abruptly. "I don't think so!" Said a voice in my head. At first I thought it was my wolf who still didn't want to let Jace go, but then I realized the voice was powerful and deep. I peeked outside and saw Jace staring directly at me. Frantic, I turned to Zander and whispered in his ear, " He knows in here and he's not going to let me leave. He's talking to me through the small mate bound we have. Since he rejected me, it has weaken significantly but it will still be existent until I find my Second Chance Mate."

Zander looked and me and in his eyes I could tell he was about to pull some mischief. The look was do familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. Zander turned and chuckled. "We're gonna bust outta here right under his nose."
"How are we going to do that?" I asked, more curious than concerned.
"We're going to do a bit of acting!"

I soon found myself in an old fashioned waitress apron and uniform. We found extras in the break room. We each grabbed a notepad and headed out to the tables. I took a table with a kind elderly couple and Zander took the one with Jace and his friends.
"How may I serve you today?" I asked the couple. I was too distracted with worry that I almost forgot to write down their order. As I went back to the kitchen area to place the order, I saw Jace was beginning to lose his patience. "Can you repeat that?" I heard Zander say to the diners. That clever little wolf! I thought to myself. He's totally frustrating them! He's probably trying to get them to leave! "Are you sure you don't want any sauces with that?" Zander asked with a bit of humor in his voice. "NO! NO WE DO NOT WANT ANY SAUCES BECAUSE WE'VE ONLY ORDERED OUR DRINKS!" Shouted Jace.
"Take it easy my friend. People order some weird things sometimes. I'm just saying..." Responded Zander. "What?! That we look weird?!" Jace was on his feet now, nose to nose with Zander
Saying I was nervous was an understatement. On my way to the kitchen I couldn't help but stare at their standoff. "Ok sir I'll be out with your drinks shortly," replied Zander as if nothing had happened.  I sighed in relief.
My mistake.
Jace's keen ears snapped his attention towards me and briefly we made eye contact. Two seconds was enough. Jace shot up from the table and slowly made his way towards me. I looked away and pretended that nothing had happened and I was a normal waitress who had never seen him in my life. How I wish that was true. As I sped away, like magic, an old timey tune began to rise from the Orchestra. Before Jace had time to react, an elderly lady, around her 80s' pulled Jace into a dance position and strolled away with him, keeping in time
with the beat and beginning to tell him about her darling and very single granddaughter. I wasn't going to stand there and let him come to his senses. I bolted outta there but not before my elderly savior gave me a quick wink. Was it possible she knew? Or did she just think of this as a lovers' spat? What ever it was it didn't matter. I grabbed Zander and together we shifted and raced far back to where he had parked the car. "What a rush of excitement," I breathed, "not your typical first date."
"Well you're not a very typical girl are you?" He laughed.
'I like this one. And might I say what a catch.' said my wolf.
'Shut up! And yeah me too.' I admitted

We shifted back and drove away, half laughing with joy and half with utter relief. That was way too close.
"Maybe we should do something closer to the pack next time?" I suggested
"So there's going to be a next time?" Zander winked.
I blushed and looked away. "If you want?"
"Oh I want." He blushed "oh my gosh that sounded so creepy out loud." He was bright red now. "That's not how I meant it I promise. I'm actually very stern when it comes to bad jokes so I swear it wasn't..."
I laughed out loud and almost completely lost it. "It's ok Zander. I knew you probably didn't mean it like that." I smiled and sighed at the same time.
"What?" Zander asked. "Am I that dreamy?" He grinned.
"Maybe." I said. "Maybe."

We didn't speak for the rest of the ride back to the pack house but we didn't need to. Just being with each other was enough. The silence was blissful after a night of chaos and mixed emotions. We stole occasional glances at each other every one in a while and when we caught each other starting, we didn't try to hide it. Of course they would only last for a few seconds and Zander was driving but with him, seconds were a lifetime. Hopefully he felt the same. I'm not sure how many more blows to the heart I could take. Apparently, I was about to take a few more.
________________________________

Hello to my precious jellybeans!!!
I'm back!! I'm so so sorry I took so long to update this book! School has been killing me and I'm not sure how many blows my grades can take anymore XD see what I did there. Hahahaha probably not. I'm pretty random. Anyways I wanted to make a few announcements before I disappear so here we goooooooooo
1. Thank you so so so so much to all my dedicated fans!! I'm so grateful for you guys! I hope my long awaited update didn't throw any of you off. I'm trying to focus on my midterms and study so I can set a strong GPA for the year and it's been taking up almost all of my time. So just to warn you that my updates will be sparse but I'll try to make them longer to make up for how long they take.
2. I will soon be coming out with a book of poetry! Yay!!! I've been wanting to do this for so long but I've been terrified of criticism but I've decided to just go for it and see if it works out! Expect to see it in the up coming months. Keep a sharp eye for it cause it could be out at anytime. I don't even know when XD. But yeah. I'm so excited!!!
3. Please remember to vote, comment, follow me, and share this story! Votes do count and it shows me how much you guys like the book! Comments are always such a pleasure to read and believe me I do actually go and read every single one of them. There's actually a huge chance that I will comment back XD. you guys always manage to crack me up so if you leave a funny comment, maybe I'll dedicate a chapter to ya or give you a shout out. Also make sure to recommend my book to your other friends who might like it! Share the love!! Come join My kingdom or whatever! XD it's more like a mess but it's our mess so that makes it on right? Maybe? Idk! You tell me! XD

4. Also make sure to check out my other books like Perfectly Imperfect and my other short stories!  I'll try to also update them as much as I possibly can trying to juggle school and guitar and piano and sports and stuff. I do this for my lovelies!! I love you all so much!!
5. Final thing: if you see any grammar mistakes don't be afraid to correct me on them to help me out. Sometimes I don't have time to edit my chapters cause I just want to get them out. But there's also a fine line between helpful and snarky. Please refrain from cuss words and cyber bullying even though I know you guys would never do that. Just an FYI
I love you guys so much and I'll see ya next update! Hugs and jellybeans with pineapples on top!
~DJ