CHAPTER ONE

Jane looked in the mirror. She turned her head right, then she turned it left. She didn't like what she saw. Her cheeks were a little bigger than all the ladies dancing around the floor, her chest was not as volumptuous and her skin was pale. It always had been. The only thing she knew she had that the other ladies didn't have was clear, crisp blue eyes. They had the ability to pierce a soul. Her father called her Helen of Troy, he said her eyes could launch a thousand ships. It was a shame her eyes had gotten her no suitors and this was her third season.

She looked in the mirror a moment longer before moving down the hall. There was a record number of people that had attended her father's ball this year and her sister's first season was going far better than anyone in her family had expected. She had danced with nearly every gentleman and she was not at a loss of suitors.

Jane wished she could feel jealous but she only felt thankfulness. Her parents would not lock her in the library and lecture her on how a young lady is to compose herself in the presence of company. She had heard the lecture one too many times.

Her eyes swept over the dance floor. The men looked handsome as they always did, many of them favoring their hair slicked back. The few who went against decorum and let their rugged locks fall about ungraciously atop their heads had to bear accusing eyes from the elderly women in the room all evening. She smiled at herself when she noticed Baroness Claudia put her nose up for a young gentleman who had come to ask her daughters hand for a dance. She held onto her little girls hand a little tighter than usual.

Jane's smile broadened when the gentleman said something and in return received a shriek from the Baroness. Her father's balls never came without incident.

Not wanting to descend and spoil the fun she was having, Jane positioned herself behind a potted plant and continued her watching.

**

Sarah was panting as she returned to her seat by her mother. 'Oh My mama, these gentlemen will be the death of me,' she exclaimed.

'Come now dear you are young and vibrant, a dance here and there surely will not kill you.' Sarah smiled. Her mother, though mature in age, had the soul and spirit of a child. She was just as young as her daughters Sarah's father would say.

'Dear, you have barely danced,' the Duke's voice sounded from the other side of the table.

'Oh papa, have you not seen me? I have danced with every single gentleman in this room. Tall, short, fat, thin, blue, green, and brown eyes. I have seen them all. It is a pity though, not one hold a candle to you papa,' she smiled.

Her father turned his attention to his youngest daughter, 'well perhaps if you were a little older I would have married you.'

'John,' his wife exclaimed, 'the both of you will be the death of me. Where is that sister of yours?'

'Up by the plant mama. You know Jane detests these gatherings. She would rather chew her arm than be down here.'

The Duchess followed the direction of Sarah's pointed finger to see her daughter seeking refuge behind a plant. She sighed to herself. Why her Jane had not the courage of her brother and sister would always be a mystery to her. She was shy and barely spoke unless her brother had said the utter most ridiculous statement against women and their intelligence. Derek knew how to bring her out.

They had had a debate for a good three days about why women are more than just child bearers, not being able to hold his argument anymore, Derek accepted her points and she had smiled at her victory. Jane still spoke of it to date.

Jane moved back when she saw her sister point in her direction. She would definitely receive a lecture from her father when the night was over. She rolled her eyes. They would never understand what it was like to be a wallflower at a ball. All the men would walk by her and ask only the prettiest women for a dance.

She would sit by her mother and the other old women of society. It didn't pass her, their stares and whispers. Humiliation soon takes over. She had made up her mind. This was her last season. She would resign herself to the fact that no man in all of England would find her beautiful and she would die a spinster. An old maid. With cats.

'That is the longest time I have ever seen a woman on her feet without moving,' a voice came out of the shadows.

Jane jumped her hand flat on her chest. 'I am sorry I didn't mean to scare you,' he stepped out of the darkness and smiled. Jane felt her breath leave her. Her eyes widened at the man standing before her. He was the son of a Duke, from a place she could never remember. All the ladies talked about him. His name was, Cedric. His mother, a French nurse, had the fortune of treating her father in a battlefield. Jane slapped herself for not paying attention when her sister would ramble on about this certain man and his family.

'A speechless woman, now that is very uncommon,' he stepped closer, she could hear the French in his accent.

'You must not be from around here, that is exactly what I am referred to,' she closed her mouth. She had found words.

'Well, dear, we shall simply have to remedy that. I am William, Duke of Sussex,' he bowed, 'I assume you are the ever silent Lady Jane, daughter to the Duke of Devonshire?' she nodded. 'It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance,' he lifted her hand and turned it over, kissing her palm.

She felt his hot breath against her skin and it sent shivers down her spine. His mouth stayed hovering over her open hand as his eyes looked straight into hers. He finally released her hand and took a step back and smiled. 'Until we meet again, Lady Jane, it had been my pleasure.' He bowed again and disappeared into the shadows.

Jane stared at her hand like it was not hers. She held it away from her body and looked it over. The heat still fresh on her skin, she looked back to the dancing party below, not a soul had seen what had just happened.

Her sister was happily chatting with her mother and father, none of them had witnessed it. She dropped her hand and smiled to herself and went to back to watching the crowd. Tonight she would have something new to add in her diary.

Tired from standing and watching everyone dance, Jane retreated to her room. She pulled out her diary and sat at her dresser.

Dear Diary, she began.