Forty Nine.

Rapid blinking. It was one way a person could resort to when trying to stop tears from falling, and that was what I was doing. I tried averting my eyes as well, but they were drawn to what was happening just a few feet away from me.

Lea was hugging Colby tightly. Colby’s face was buried in his mom’s shoulder, his arms wrapped around her slender waist. Lea was whispering probably soothing words into her son’s ear, and I noticed that Colby nodded his head a couple of times.

They were saying goodbye, and I felt like I was witnessing a private, heartfelt family moment, very much like when they were reunited. Did that happen just a little over a week ago? It felt like it was just yesterday, and now here we were, doing the exact opposite. Saying goodbye.

My heart was breaking for Colby, knowing that he would not be with his mother again, but I was also happy that they were able to spend time together over the last week. I had never seen Colby more alive, and it was such a beautiful gift not only for my boyfriend, but for me as well. Seeing Colby have fun with his mother was… I didn’t even know the right word to say. It was everything.

Lea pulled away from her son and turned her gaze at me, smiling. I smiled back, my eyes now blinking at an abnormally rapid rate. She let out a chuckle, and motioned for me to come closer. When I was close enough, she pulled me in a hug so tight, I had trouble breathing, but it felt good.

“Take good care of him, alright?” She whispered in my ear.

I nodded in response, not trusting myself to speak.

“And I don’t expect you to give me grandchildren anytime soon,” Lea added, her voice anything but teasing. “But still you two would have the cutest babies.”

I turned red but I laughed, and it was immediately followed by a soft sob, prompting Lea to wrap her arms even tighter around me.

Just then, Lea’s flight was called for boarding. She pressed a kiss on my temple before releasing me, then turned again to her son. This time, she had tears in her eyes and I watched as she pulled Colby to another bone crushing hug while I rubbed my eyes free of tears.

“I’ll miss you, honey,” Lea murmured, her hand stroking Colby’s hair.

“I’ll miss you, too, mom,” Colby said, his voice cracking a little.

She entangled herself from Colby and hold his face in her hands, her thumbs brushing Colby’s cheeks. “You be a good boy, okay?”

Colby’s hands wrapped around his mother’s arms, and he chuckled through his teary eyes. “Of course. Am I not always?”

Lea chuckled before she squashed her son again. She then motioned for me to come over, and I immediately walked over and ducked under Colby’s arm, and then we were in a group hug and my tears were lining my eyelids once more.

Another boarding announcement was called, and Lea rolled her eyes while muttering, “All right, all right, I’m coming.”

She pulled away and gazed at me and Colby with a wistful look on her face, one of her hands on Colby’s shoulder, and while the other was on mine. “I’ll miss you both so much, and I love you.” She squeezed our shoulders gently.

“You two take good care of each other.”

With a final kiss on both mine and Colby’s cheeks, Lea turned and picked her suitcase up. She gave us a wave before entering the gates, and then I felt Colby’s hand clasp to mine. He held it tightly while we watched Lea disappear amongst the crowd.

I heard Colby let out a huff of breath, and I squeezed his hand gently, glancing at him out the corner of my eye. His face bore his normal expression, but I knew that there was a current of emotions inside of him now. I was sure he felt sad and happy at the same time, and that he already missed his mom the moment she was out of sight.