Silvia Alexander Smith: Gods are SO annoying

This is dedicated to bestandbaddestfemale for making my cover!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amy laughed. "Come on, Silvia, that type of thing is never true. How would you know?"

"I can't explain it. It's like I should be able to see them but they're invisible or something, so I get a weird feeling. Come out! I know you're there!"

A man appeared out of thin air - or shadow. I recognized him immediately. His dark robes and black-jeweled ring were the same as in my dream.

"Hades."

"It's nice to see you too, Silvia."

"What are you doing here?"

"Aren't you glad to see me?"

"The god of death? Not particularly."

"I'm the god of the dead. Thanatos is death. And last time we met, I believe that I saved your life, did I not?"

I gasped. "But- But-" I stammered. "That was just a dream!"

He shook his head. "Surely you've realized that all your dreams are real?"

"Even what Apollo showed..."

He smiled. "Yes, indeed."

"So you saved my life. Great. Thanks. Why?"

"For the sake of death. Ares is rather fond of you, you know. But he voted to kill you. Why? War. He knows about the quest. He knows that you are crucial to it."

"So he figures that if I'm dead, the quest will fail. And Aliah said, 'And war unleash if thy quest is failed'! That's why he voted against me!"

Hades nodded. "Very good, Silvia."

"But what does this have to do with you? Doesn't war mean lots of death? I thought you wanted death!"

"If your quest fails, Gaea will almost certainly wake. And if she does, the war that ensues will be very, very short. She will kill everyone."

"So? You want that, don't you?"

"Silvia, death needs life. If there is no one alive, nobody will be left to die. If you win and defeat Gaea, however, people will continue to live, and eventually die. And their children will too. And their children."

"So you only want me alive so that more people die?"

"That's the general idea, yes."

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists. "Please get out of here before I get killed trying to attack you," I growled.

I got one last look of his amused impression before he disappeared.

"I hate that guy," I snarled.

"Come on, Silvia, let's check on Tréa and see if she's cooled down."

I nodded in agreement, my anger at Hades slowly fading as we walked toward Tréa's cabin. She greeted us as soon as we entered.

"Hey, guys, how are you? And how's Aliah? I really shouldn't have blown up at her like that."

"We're fine," I replied. "And I think Aliah is too."

She nodded. "Good. So, why are you here?"

"We just wanted to check on you," Amy said.

"Oh, I'm fine! But I think we should get ready for that quest."

"Right," I said. "When would be a good time to leave?"

Tréa smiled grimly.

"Yesterday."