Ch. 4: Daddy

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 4: Daddy , August 06, 2015 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original story copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2015; all rights reserved)

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story with images of actors representing my dream cast--including Richard Armitage as Thomas Kane and Anne Hathaway as Caroline Walters, and others as noted in the image credits.] [(1) "Fire & Ice" story logo]

Author's Mature Content Note:   "Fire & Ice" is romantic thriller story with mature themes (D for drama, S for sensuality, and V for violence) of love and relationships. Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings that I provide, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer.

Author's Recap from the previous chapter:  Caroline and Thomas have found each other again and are beginning to find their way back to each other. Thomas had stayed with Caroline Friday night and they agreed to sleep chastely with each other tonight--but that gave way to their mutual need and longing to make love with each other. The process of rebuilding their faith, trust, and love continues. And their little son Trevor will receive his greatest wish.

"Fire & Ice" (Revised for Wattpad), Ch. 4: Daddy

Their lovemaking and their joy in starting to mend their broken love keeps Thomas and Caroline in a deep and loving sleep in each others' arms the rest of Friday night--really into the early hours of Saturday morning.

But, little boys must have their Saturday morning snuggles and cartoons. So Trevor sleepily walks into his Mommy's room as usual around 6:00am with his blankie. As Trevor sleepily climbs into his Mommy's bed, Caroline stirs and sees Trevor sitting next to her on top of the covers. Though she is usually in a nightgown and sleeping alone, Trevor is, at first, too sleepy to notice that his Mommy's shoulders are bare because she is naked under the sheets and lying in bed with the Tall Man who read him a bed time story last night.

Then when Trevor goes to climb over her to his side of the bed, he sees Thomas lying on his back and Thomas is also starting to stir awake.

Trevor: To Thomas, the still sleepy Trevor says matter of factly, as almost three and a half year olds do. "Move over, that's my spot." Trevor is too sleepy to question why the Tall Man is in his Mommy's bed.

And Thomas amusingly obliges Trevor's request and moves over. Then, as Trevor squirms around as he arranges his blankie over himself—since Trevor is on top of the covers and the room is chilly—Trevor spies a U.S. flag tattoo on Thomas' right upper inside arm and Trevor leans over Thomas' bare chest and Trevor touches the tattoo with a perplexed and wondering expression on his little face.

Thomas: Trying to make light conversation while feeling a little awkward being naked under the covers with Caroline—in Trevor's Mommy's bed, Thomas says. "Do you know what that is? It's a U.S. flag. I got it years ago when I was in the military." The words are out of Thomas' mouth before he can stop himself. Thomas realizes that he might be giving away too much information—and too soon--for his little boy and Thomas waits portentously for Trevor's response [(2)].

As this little scene unfolds, Caroline watches the two of them intently—her son Trevor and his father Thomas--knowing what will happen next.

Trevor: Touching Thomas' flag tattoo again, Trevor looks questioningly at Thomas and says slowly as he points. "That's my Daddy's tattoo." Trevor's statement hangs in the air--along with a question that Trevor has yet to ask. Thomas is frozen, not wanting to scare his little boy by revealing himself too quickly. Trevor turns around on the bed so that he is kneeling between Thomas Tall Man and his Mommy Caroline and facing both of his parents. Trevor looks at his Mommy quizzically and asks. "Mommy?"