Chapter 1

Hello! Welcome to a new and hopefully improved version of The Intern. I changed the name because the story no longer focuses on Natalie being an intern, but instead her relationship with Reid. If you read The Intern before I posted this, you should reread this. I will be posting chapters regularly and I apologize if you like the original version better, but my creativity ran out for that story. Also, it was a little TOO unrealistic. Thank you for your support!

p.s The Guardian will be gone for good :(

Enjoy!

"Why are we here so late?" Morgan sighed. It was three in the morning and the team sat in the conference room waiting for Hotch and Garcia to begin the briefing. 

"I don't know Morgan but if I would go with my gut, I'd say there's been a murder," Spencer Reid mumbled. The book in front of him looked like it was moving faster than he was. The pages kept turning every three seconds.

"Oh, he makes jokes now!" Morgan exclaimed, leaning back in his chair.

"Actually it's called sarcasm-" Reid put his book down in front of him, "-smarter people tend to make sarcastic comments quicker than those who aren't as intelligent,"

"Don't push it kid," Morgan replied.

A moment later, Hotch entered the conference room, followed by Garcia. He sat down and let her begin speaking. 

"In New York, three teachers were murdered inside of a high school. Their names are Tony Grecca, Drew Smith and Allison Montgomery. They were all found with the letter B carved in their foreheads," Garcia said.

"There's nothing else that's the same, that's why they called us. It's a case that seems like it would be easy but there's nothing for police to really use," Hotch added.

"Could be an act of vengeance by an old student or even a current student," Jennifer Jareau stated.

"These kills are sloppy, it makes sense if it was a student," David Rossi added.

"There's no evidence though, someone smart had to have done this," Emily Prentiss stated. She flipped through the photos of the crime scenes. Her gaze became fixated on a photo of Drew Smith with his former students.

Drew Smith had been teaching chemistry for thirty years. Retirement was something he thought about, but Drew enjoyed teaching too much. His desk always piled up with student requests with recommendation letters he was asked to write for students. There was almost nothing anyone could have against him, almost. He wasn't very lenient when it came to grading, which is most definitely something that could make a student snap.

"Another indication of this being someone intelligent is the letter 'B'. If we're theorizing that this is an act of vengeance, it could be a bright student who is angry over getting B's from these teachers," Spencer said. The genius was the only person at the table to be holding an actual file, he pulled out a photo of Allison Montgomery and observed it.

Allison Montgomery could be considered the most frustrating teacher around. Many of her students fail her class because she offers no extra credit and her tests are way above the students capability. She had only been teaching Algebra for three years and definitely had a lot to learn.

Tony Grecca was an English teacher for almost seventeen years. His teaching style was average. Students didn't really associate with him, but his door was always open if they needed him.

All three teachers were definitely different in their teaching styles, but for all three of them, the students were what made them want to teach.

"Here's how we're going to build the profile," Hotch began, "Reid, JJ and Rossi will act as temporary substitutes for the three teachers. Security at these schools nowadays are high which means it has to be someone from the inside," he paused to hand out attendance sheets for students they'd be dealing with, "Reid, you'll be in for Drew Smith, Rossi for Tony Grecca and JJ for Allison Montgomery. Keep your eye out for anything suspicious. Morgan and Prentiss will be shadowing in the hallway while I'll be working from the outside. We'll meet up at the police precinct at night to discuss. We need to get there fast, wheels up in thirty,"

----

In New York, the air was chilly and a slight frost was forming on the grass where Natalie was standing. Natalie Cindy, a fifteen year old genius, stood at the bus stop. She definitely didn't belong in high school, but her school didn't offer any type of early college program nor did it have AP classes. The honors program at her high school wasn't even that highly spoken of. So, Natalie kept to herself, she didn't want to make herself an outcast more than she already was. 

Everyone knew Natalie's past, two years ago, her parents had gone missing. Police assumed they were dead, so, social services put her in a foster home under the care of Marissa and Fred Williams. They weren't bad people but Natalie could never see them as her family. She wasn't ready to give up on her parents. 

Surprisingly, Natalie wasn't the only student with above-average intelligence at her high school. When she was a new student, Natalie had met Flynn, her best friend. He was a phenomenal musician who could play anything you asked without sheet music. 

The bus arrived, stopping just ahead of where Natalie was standing. She walked up the steps and found Flynn sitting in the third seat from the driver. His backpack was where Natalie was about to sit, so no one else could take her seat. She down once he moved it, "Hey," she smiled.

"Happy day 65 of hell," Flynn replied. 

"I can't believe you're still counting," she laughed. 

"Hey I'm willing to do anything to win money from you," Flynn said, referring to the bet they established at the beginning of the school year. If Flynn could keep track and say the correct number of days they've been in school everyday, Natalie would pay him fifty dollars.

Natalie rolled her eyes and looked around on the bus curiously. It arrived at her stop last, yet there wasn't really anyone on it. "Where is everyone?" she asked.

"Grecca, Montgomery and Smith were murdered. Didn't you hear? Parents are freaked out," Flynn replied.

"I know they were, I just didn't think this many people would not show up for school. What did your parents say about this?"

"They're more worried about my education. Even though I don't need math, science and all that... I'm going to Juilliard," Flynn said confidently.

"I know you are," Natalie laughed.

"So, there's a serial killer at our school. Should be a fun time," Flynn smirked.