Fight For Me- Chapter 14

Thrashing around on my bed, twisting and turning as my abdomen radiated with pain was how I woke up a week after my ultrasound with Scott. The light was streaming through the half open blinds.

            I was scared. No, I wasn’t scared, I was terrified to open my eyes.

            It’s just morning sickness, it’s just morning sickness…

            But I knew it wasn’t. Something wasn’t right.

            “Scott?” I squeaked from my bed, praying he’d forgotten to set his alarm clock or didn’t go into work today.

            No such luck.

            My bed felt wet and I knew exactly what was happening, but I wouldn’t let myself believe it.

            Breathing in, I took a deep breath, and opened my eyes, and got out of the bed before I looked at it. Crouching on the ground, I cried out of fear and hurt and I literally felt my heart break down the middle. I thought it hurt when I thought that Scott had used me.

            No, that was nothing compared to this. I had lost my baby. My unborn child. The only reason Scott was in my life. The baby I would never, ever see.

            Blood. There was blood and lots of it.

            I gripped my shirt so tight that my fingers ached. I was trying so hard to keep it together. I needed to keep it together for the sake of my sanity. I could do this later.

            I needed to go to the hospital.

            I grabbed some shorts, one of Scott’s t shirts, and some underwear and walked to the shower.

            A new batch of tears rolled down my cheeks when I saw just how much blood there was on my sleeping shorts. I bit my lip so hard I thought that it was going to bleed.

            But I ignored it. I ignored it and turned on the shower and then I showered.

            I had to search for a pad, and when I found it, I tensed my whole entire body. I was hurting. My entire being hurt. My heart hurt. My stomach hurt. I just hurt.

            I walked back into my room and tore off the entire bedding. Blanket, pillows, sheets, everything. Shoving it into a garbage bag, I decided that I never wanted to look at it again.

            Next I took a deep breath and prayed that I’d be able to control my emotions. I picked up my phone and dialed the number I knew by heart.

            “Rikki? Whatcha need?” he answered. Hearing his voice made me break down again. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Rik. What’s wrong?”

            “I uh, I need you to take me to the hospital. I don’t want to talk about this over the phone. Just please come get me…” I sniffed through my tears.

            “Rikki tell me why the hell you need to go to the hospital. Did Scott hit you? What’s going on?” Always the older, patronizing brother. I smiled a little.

            “Ronnie please just come get me…” it was silent for a moment before he sighed and I heard some shuffling.

            “Alright. I’m on my way now,” his voice was flat and I said bye before hanging up. I brushed my hair and put on my old ratty converse before I took off out of the building.

            I waited five minutes before I saw Ronnie’s car pull in. I slid into the seat and he sat silently for a minute before he spoke.

            “Explain. Now.”

            I sighed. What’s a way to explain this without bawling my eyes out…

            “I got my period,” I tried, but then realized we hadn’t told anybody about my pregnancy yet. His face turned bright red.

            “YOU MADE ME LEAVE WORK EARLY JUST BECAUSE YOU STARTED YOUR PERIOD?! I was worried fucking sick about you, and you got your PERIOD?!” he was yelling so loud.

            “Just let me finish!” I yelled back in the middle of his rampage. I was crying again and when he realized it he shut up. “I’m pregnant, alright?! I’m supposed to be pregnant and I got my period! I’m fucking miscarrying my baby!”

            And then I finally broke down in the passenger seat of my brother’s car. I leaned against the door, bawling while I looked out the window. He silently drove.

            When we got there, I immediately unclicked my seat belt and he followed me to the ER. He took a seat while I walked up to the desk and got the forms. When I sat down, he gripped my hand.

            “You can leave, you know. I can just text Jess or something…” I mumbled. I actually didn’t know who I would call when I got out of here for a ride if he left.

            “No. I’ll stay.”

            “All right…” I trailed off and worked on filling out these damned papers.

            4 hours and 5 cups of coffee later, I was discharged from the South West General Hospital with a very tired brother and a heavy heart.

            I had lost my baby, Scott had no reason to be around me anymore, and Jess was going to personally murder me for not telling anyone I was pregnant in the first place. There was no way Ronnie would keep it a secret. Well… I could try I guess…

            “Ronnie?” he looked over at me before yawning.

            “Ye?” he was exhausted, I could tell.

            “Could you keep this a secret for me? Like, not tell mom or dad or Jess… Not yet at least. I want to tell them,” I doubted he would let me.

            “It’s not my secret to spread,” he shrugged and climbed in his car. I thanked him and he drove me home. “I just have a question or two.”

            “Yeah?” I had prayed he wouldn’t ask anymore question about the baby. I didn’t want to explain. Of course I was going to say it was Scott’s, but then Ronnie would just end up pissed at Scott for getting me knocked up.

            “It’s Scott’s, right? Is the only reason you two got together because you found out you were pregnant?” he was quiet beside me. The sun was setting and I just wanted to sleep. Scott was probably sleeping already.

            “Yeah,” was my one worded answer.

            “Do you think you’ll split up? Now that… well… now that the baby isn’t keeping you together anymore?”

            “I can’t answer that because I don’t know what he’s going to do, honestly. I don’t want to. But I don’t know what he’ll do.”

            He smiled grimly at me before I climbed out of the car and drove away once I got inside. I sighed once I realized the I had torn apart my bed. I shook my head.

            I didn’t want to sleep there anyways, my subconscious told me. I knew it was right. Why fight it?

            So I walked down the hallway to the bedroom and slipped in the door. Then I slid into the already warm bed, knowing that Scott was probably awake.

            But he didn’t ask any questions, he just acted like he was sleeping and let me snuggle into his blankets, engulfing myself in his scent. Then right before I fell asleep, I felt him shift and pull my body into his.

            I waited until he actually fell asleep before I pushed my head in the crook of his neck and whispered into his skin.

            “I think you’ve made me fall in love with you.”