Chapter 15: Stargazing

From the combination of the cold and the exertion after my scare in the woods, I caught a terrible cold. It was a full week before Thea would even allow me, wrapped in a thick blanket, out of my room at all. Beast would come and sit with me in my room, to keep me from being bored senseless. He had been different since he found me by the gate, treating me as if he thought I might break. By the time I was completely well, it was the day before the new moon.

The morning of the new moon dawned just like any other. I rose, and this morning I dressed myself. Thea had been lax lately, as though she thought coming later would keep me in bed longer. I wrapped my cloak around me, just to keep her happy, and headed across the castle to the library. Beast had insisted that we treat today as we would any other, and continue with his lessons. I guess I was excited to see him as a human again, for my stomach was full of buzzing bees. The clock ticked slower than I had ever seen it move. It seemed like years passed before the sun began to set.

"Go on down to the dining room; I'll join you shortly," he prompted. I rose, and did as he asked.

I had just made it to the dining room when I heard one solitary scream ring out. I sat down at the table and waited for Galien to join me. After a very brief wait, he came running down the stairs, his golden curls hanging in his face.

"I hope you weren't waiting long?" he asked apologetically.

I smiled, and shook my head. "Not at all."

He plopped down in the chair across from me, a smile spread across his handsome face, showing off his dimples. He called out, "Thea! We're ready now," and immediately, out rolled dinner.

This must have been why Galien had sent me out on that walk by myself. Dinner was comprised of all of my favorite foods, right down to a berry lemon tea that Thea made, and even desert, a chocolate cake with strawberry slices covering it.

It didn't take long for us to finish dinner. Conversation was short, as Galien was acting very secretive about something.

Once I had finished eating, he said hurriedly, "Let's go back to the library. I have a surprise for you," as he rose from the table.

I stood as well, and met him at the door. He extended his arm to me with a bow. I blushed. I couldn't help it. It was just so strange to be alone with so sweet of a man, especially a handsome man, whether it was Galien or not.

Once we were in the library, Galien steered me right into the chair by the fireplace, before sitting down on the floor in front of me.

"I've been working on this while you were sick, and I wanted to surprise you," he explained, and then he began to recite:

"The sea is a lion,

It charges forward roaring,

Tearing at everything in sight,

A cacophony that seems deafening,

Yet peaceful."

As he continued on, I was amazed. It was a 3 page poem, about the sea, that my mother had read to me as a child in Itacya. I had read it to him once. He had memorized every word, perfectly.

**********

Galien sat in the floor before me, his golden head resting on my knee. I ran my hand across his head, playing with his long honey colored locks, so deep in my thoughts that I didn't even realize I was doing it.

"Galien, remember the story you told me, the second new moon I was here in the castle?" I asked, brow bent with the thoughts that had swirling through my mind since Galien's recitation.