Chapter 5

Chris tucked the K-9 Unit vehicle into a dark corner at the end of a sloping ramp next to a large van inside the subterranean parking lot and killed the engine.

Headlights cut through the gloomy structure.

"They'll see us," Fiona whispered.

The fear in her voice wrapped around Chris's chest and squeezed. "We have to risk it." Chris tugged Fiona to the floor as the SUV rolled past. "Get down!"

A heartbeat later, Chris chanced a peek in time to see the red taillights of the SUV disappear down another arm of the parking lot. Chris checked on Dutch in his crate and was relieved to find the dog unharmed. Back in the driver's seat, Chris started the engine and drove toward the exit, praying they made it out before the SUV gave up searching for them and retreated.

"You can get up now," he told Fiona when they were far from the parking garage.

She reclaimed her seat and belted herself in. "That was close."

"I'll call it in," Chris said, grabbing his radio. "The police will catch them on the way out."

"I memorized the license plate."

"Nice," Chris said, appreciating her quick thinking. "Let's call the plates in to..." He laughed at himself. "I was going to say you."

She grinned. "I'll run the plate." She pulled her laptop out of her bag, rested it on her knees and fired it up. The clicking of her fingers on the keyboard echoed in the cab. A few seconds later, she said, "The DMV has that vehicle registered to the District of Columbia as part of their official fleet."

"Interesting. A government car." 

Fiona's phone beep. She looked at the text and laid a hand on his arm. "I had Carol's boss check her appointment book for the day she died. She visited someone at a place called Serenity Hope, room 328. We should go there."

Liking the way she thought, he said, "Sounds good but we better run it by Gavin." 

With his boss's approval, Chris followed the directions Fiona read from the ritzy drug and alcohol rehabilitation center's website. They crossed the Key Bridge into Virginia. There was more snow on the ground here. They passed a sign for the town of McLean, one of the wealthiest suburbs of DC. A few miles later they exited onto a surface street.

"Does anyone on the list live in this area?" he asked Fiona.

"Let me check. Several of the people on this list live in or around here." 

"That's not helpful. Or surprising considering the high power, high profile names on the list."

They turned on to a private drive, passing a sign that read Serenity Hope. A huge brick, three story, Georgian style home sprawled before them. The setting was breathtaking with snow dusting the eaves, the ground and trees dotting the property. A large parking lot had been paved on one side of the building. Chris slowly cruised the rows of expensive cars and parked.

"Let's see who's in residence here."

"They won't give us any information," Fiona told him.

Letting Dutch take the lead, he said, "They may not but Dutch will." 

Dutch alerted on a black SUV, one very like the vehicle that had followed them earlier. Chris noted the dents in the front bumper and the flecks of blue paint. From Carol Leechman's sedan? The dog picked up a scent and led them to the front door of the facility.

"What does he smell?" Fiona asked.

"My best guess—the person who was in your apartment."

They stepped inside to a large foyer. Soft music played somewhere in the building. Candles burned on a large glass-topped table in the center of the space.

"This is beautiful," Fiona remarked.

Chris had to agree. A wrought iron banister curled up a sweeping staircase. Hardwood floors gleamed. Cut crystal vases and scones sparkled. His Aunt Teresa would be over the moon if she were here to see this.

A woman dressed in a tailored pantsuit walked out of a room to their left. She had short spikey blonde hair and a wide smile. "Can I help you?"

Chris introduced himself and Fiona. Dutch pulled, clearly wanting to follow the scent trail. "This my partner Dutch."

"I'm Anne Shepherd," she said, her gaze bouncing from Dutch to him and then Fiona. "I'm the director." 

"We're tracking a suspect that may have recently arrived," Chris said.

The woman's smile faltered. "Oh, my. We've had no new clients check in today. And I can assure you none of our residents have left the premises. All comings and goings are approved by me."

"What about visitors?" Fiona asked.

The woman frowned. "I'm sure none of our clients' visitors would be involved in something requiring your attention."

Fiona held up the list of names from the expose. "Are any of these people residents?"

Anne's gaze narrowed, but she didn't bother to look at the list. "I'm sure you can understand that discretion is part of our commitment to our clients. Now, unless you have a warrant, I'd like you to leave."

"We'll be back with a warrant," Chris assured the woman.

Once they were outside, Fiona sighed. "I told you we wouldn't learn anything."

"But we did," Chris countered. "We know that someone inside the building was in your apartment. We'll head back to the office and see what Gavin and General Meyer want to do."

The feeling of being watched crept down Chris's spine. He glanced around but didn't see anyone lurking about. He unlocked Dutch's compartment and the dog hopped in and lay down. Chris went around the vehicle to open Fiona's door.

He opened the passenger door for her. "Come on. If we hurry, we'll miss the five o'clock traffic jam."

She moved as the window in the vehicle's open door shattered and a loud crack rent the air.

A flood of adrenaline pumped through Chris's veins. He grabbed Fiona, tucked her in front of him and urged her to the back of his vehicle.

"What just happened?" Fiona's voice shook.

"We're being shot at." Chris pulled his sidearm from his holster. "Stay down."

He peered around the edge of the vehicle, searching for the shooter. The shot could have come from the facility or from the grove of trees a few yards off to the right. Another bullet slammed into the rear body of the vehicle. Concerned for Dutch, Chris used his remote control to open Dutch's compartment door. The dog leapt out and joined Chris.

Fiona used her cell phone to call Gavin and relay their situation. Chris was grateful for her steady nerves. No hysterics, only action. Keeping low, he shuffled back to her side. "I need to pinpoint the shooter's location."

She grabbed his sleeve. "What are going to do?"

"Draw his fire away from you."

"No, it's too dangerous." Her emerald eyes pleaded with him. "Back up will be here soon."

"And the light is fading," he pointed out. "I'm not letting him slip through my hands again." He touched her cheek, imprinting the softness of her skin in his memory. "Don't worry."

"But I do." 

He groaned and kissed her.