Chapter Three

"I don't want him here!" Jake yelled. Everyone in the kitchen except Angela took a step away from him. It was later that afternoon and Charles had told Rebecca that he did want to stay and eat dinner with the family that night. He was upstairs but the rest of the family was down in the kitchen and Rebecca was telling them about their dinner guest.

"Jake, he's your father. You..." Rebecca started

"He is nothing to me! We don't need him around!" Jake yelled back and then he strode outside slamming the door behind him.

"Mommy, why is daddy so mad?" Laney asked from where she was coloring pictures with her Aunt Joey. Angela managed a smile for her little girl and kissed her head.

"Sometimes grown ups get upset baby girl but it'll be ok. You stay in here with your Aunt Joey and I'll go talk to daddy." Angela started for the door but Lane grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"I'm coming with you." he said. Angela nodded and the two of them walked outside.

"Jake's not happy about this, mom." Raquel said.

"Thank you for that obvious understatement." Bethany said running her fingers through her golden hair. Rebecca opened the oven and started pulling out the three steaming pans of Lasagna.

"I know he's not." she said as she sat them on the table.

"I don't blame Jake for not wanting him here." Jordan said sitting down in Kent's lap. "Dad ignored us girls and Lane but he was constantly riding Jake."

"I know he was." Rebecca said as she starting mixing up the vegetables for the salad. She was fighting back tears and nerves. She wanted her mate here. She wanted him with her. But she would not sacrifice her sons happiness for her own. If Jake and his father couldn't make it work then Charles would have to go.

"I still remember how pissed dad got every time Jake took a break from hunting and training to go serve in mortal wars. He just never could understand why Jake cared." Jordan said.

"I don't think Jake really cared one way or the other what the war was about. To him the shores of Normandy and the jungles of Vietnam were a happy vacay from dear old dad." Bethany replied

"All of that is between Jake and Charles. How do you girls feel about him being here?" Rebecca asked. Jordan, Raquel and Bethany just looked at each other and shrugged. Kayleb spoke up.

"If uncle Jake doesn't want him here than neither do I." he said.

"Your uncle Jake and your grandpa have their own issues. You don't need to be basing your opinion off of those. They don't have anything to do with you." Evan scolded his son. Kayleb rolled his eyes and went back to playing his psp.

"I don't care who wants to stay for dinner just as long as dinner is soon because I'm starving." Kent said matter of factly.

888

Angela and Lane found Jake pacing at the side of the house. Angela laid her hand on his shoulder and he stopped.

"I don't want him here." he said. "Not after what he said to you the last time."

"Jake that was five years ago and all he called me was a bitch. I called him much worse that day if you remember." she replied.

"Yea and if I hadn't held onto her the old man would probably be dead right now." Lane said remembering how hard Angela had struggled in his grasp while trying to get to Charles.

"You should have let her go." Jake said unable to stop his grin. "He'd have learned real quick that my Angela is a hell of a woman."

"I shouldn't have gone at him that way. It had been a bad day and he should have known better than to speak to my mate that way." she said smoothing out her sweatshirt. Both Lane and Jake laughed.