28: The Attack

Raeanne

All was quiet as I approached him. His brown hair was longer than the last time I'd seen him. It was curling around his ears in a way I used to think was cute. His blue eyes were hard, and his mouth curved into a cold smile. “Raeanne, don't you look... charming.” He looked at me from head to foot, and I knew I was a sight. My unitard was slashed up one leg and my hair was falling out of its braid, I had dirt on my face, hands and body, and the cut on my forehead was throbbing uncomfortably, a trickle of blood falling slowly down my temple.

“Taylor.” I hissed, and stepped towards him.

Twelve Hours Earlier

“Rae!” A loud voice called after me, then I heard three sets of footsteps. “Where are you going?” Spencer asked, her fact was flushed, her black hair pulled back into a tight pony tail. Her face was screwed up in an odd expression. Jayden stood near her, wearing his black and red training gear, he also had a set of swords strapped to his back. I knew he grew up fighting by sword so it wasn't surprising he had a pair of curved matching blades. Kat was also there, in one of my black suits, her big hair loose her brown eyes wide but determined.

“I'm going to fight.” I stated, and turned to start running when a hand closed around my wrist. It was Jayden, his face screwed up oddly. “You can't go fight now. They're not close enough, we need your help launching far range attacks.” I bit my lip. I had been planning on tracking where Taylor would be so I could turn into a wisp of wind and go to him.

I closed my eyes, Jayden was right. They needed me here for now. So I went with them to the wall which was taking some serious damage. The earth benders were doing all they could to keep it strong, and to replace the vines that were getting damaged, but I could see they were growing tired. “Draw your energy! I know the sun isn't up but take it from the earth itself and give it back!” I shouted as I rushed to help, making vines sprout and start to attack.

The thing about fighting with earth, is that you can literally see everything even if you weren't looking at it. I could sense the machines which would be Taylor's human slaves. I could feel all of them, the benders who were burning the plants, slashing them with machetes and trying to tunnel under the ground with earth bending. I could sense the benders, they were fighting the roots of the plants and I decided to make it harder for the, I drew water from the nearest source and managed to fill the space. Which got the two benders beneath the surface to double back and out, which I then filled the space with hard packed earth and drew the water back to me.

There are several types of plants that would be perfect for offence, but I could only use what was plentiful here, and unfortunately, bamboo trees were not one of them. So I continued to grow vines, thorny vines as thick as my body and I attacked. Knocking the people back, as a fire wielder attempted to burn these vines. They burned, but they grew back, and continued to attack. Just as we were getting our defences back I felt something was wrong. My head started aching, so bad it felt like I was being burned from the inside out and let go of what I was doing to scream.

The pain was all I could feel, I idly heard shouts but I couldn't move. I was curled in on myself, my knees to my chest, my hands clutching at my head as I sobbed. It was agony, feeling this and as I screamed and sobbed I felt something warm grab a hold of me and then it was quiet, aside from heavy breathing, pounding foot steps and my soft cries. The pain started to ease and I noticed I was in someones arms, opening my eyes I saw it was Jayden. We were in a building, and I noticed we were alone.

Jayden stopped and set me on the floor. It was dark, because the power was out, but I could see him from the windows, and his face was a mask of concern. “What happened?” He questioned but I just shook my head. “Are you okay?” He asked, and I nodded, because although I was shaken I was fine. Someone was tampering with my head. I could sense it. Jayden tried to talk to me some more, but I held up my hand and concentrated, and built a barrier around my mind. It was take some serious work to break through that, and I would know if anyone tried.