Chapter 31: High School Musical

Start from the beginning

"Oh that's fine. Who is he?"

"Hmm he should be here right now...Oh, there he is," The teacher looked over my shoulder once the door swung open.

"It's him?" I furrowed my eyebrows when my new partner neared.

"Oh hey, you're in the musical too?" Himchan shoved his hands into his pockets and must be pretty forgetful because I told the guys last week that they won't see much of me because I'm in this thing.

"Good you two already know each other. That will make the kiss scene easier to do." Himchan and I both snapped our heads to the teacher who just said something, but I just needed to ask again because I was pretty sure I misheard her.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I asked.

"That you two will have a kiss  scene in the musical."

"I don't want to kiss him," I accidentally blurted out. But hey, it was true.

"Gee, you really know how to make people feel wanted." Himchan said sarcastically.

"Let's move onto the stage so I can direct you two," the teacher grabbed our hands and let us onto the stage to practice while everyone got a break.

"Why are you in the musical anyway? Can you actually sing?" I questioned Himchan's abilities. He didn't look like the type of guy to do these extracurricular activities.

"Of course I can." Himchan stated, "And I'm pretty good at it thank you very much."

"Ok Himchan and Jieun, let's start on page 6 of the script," The teacher clapped her hands and Himchan and I started reciting our lines. I said my final line and paused when I saw in italicized letters: the two lean in for a passionate kiss, then lights fade, ending Act 1.

I  side-eyed the teacher, waiting for her to say something like "Ok that's enough for today" or even better "let's cut that scene from the musical." Instead, she waved her hand, signaling us to continue the scene.

Himchan, on the other hand, must not have been fazed by the script because he was already leaning in and closing the distance between us. What the hell does he think he's doing? Well yeah, it was written in the script, but we could have protested to not do it! Before I could push him away, Himchan quickly kiss my cheek and stepped back.

"There." He faced the teacher, "That's good enough, right?"

The teacher sighed and came up to the stage with us, "It's alright since that was the first time you two ran the scene together. And this is why we practice." She grabbed Himchan's hand, "Himchan, put your hand on Jieun's cheek and place your thumb on her lips. This way, it looks like you will be kissing her, but your lips won't be touching at all."

Suddenly I was relieved. Himchan placed his hand on my cheek like the teacher said, and his thumb on my lips. He leaned in closer to my face so it looked as if we were actually kissing. The entire time I kept my eyes on the ground. This situation was still awkward.

-----

"That was so weird," I said once rehearsals were over and Himchan and I were walking out of the theater.

"Calm down, we don't even have to kiss for real. I mean, I know you really want to kiss me, but you're taken, remember?" Himchan nudged me while we were walking, which almost made me trip.

I rolled my eyes once I got my balance back, "Please, you're the one who wants to kiss me because everyone knows I'm cute. But on a serious note, do you think Yongguk will be mad if he finds out that you're my partner in the play?"