Chapter 11

Chapter 11

The next few days at the Skinny Boy House seemed a little off. I mean, everything was more or less the same. When I ate, one of the staff always watched over me like a hawk eyeing its prey; that took some re-getting-used-to, but other than that, nothing else changed. Always having someone accompany me just reminded me of my early days in the house. Sure, I missed my privileges, but it wasn't like I would cease to exist just because Terry had to follow me into the bathroom.

I mean, he was pretty good company even if he wasn't talking to me as much these days. It was just nice to have someone there to sit quietly. Terry was my big, muscular shadow.

When everything finally seemed to settle around me, a stern knock on my bedroom door frame seemed to rattle my very existence.

Without waiting for me to answer, the door opened and three of the female staff pushed their way into my room. Ruth, Dawn, and Mrs. Taylor, the tutor, automatically began rummaging through my room.

I stood up from my bed, placing the fashion magazine down beside me. Ever since I borrowed money (and returned said money) to Geoffrey, he began sliding magazines under my door. At this rate, I would be able to build a fort with the things.

I had to admit that I was beginning to grow an interest in fashion.

Slightly.

Nonetheless, when I stood, Ruth stepped closer to me, using her body to cut me off from the other two women as they picked at my things. "What's going on?" I asked defensively. What had I done to garner such a response from the staff?

"We're inspecting your room," Ruth replied nonchalantly. She almost sounded bored. I imagined that in her time here at the Skinny Boy House, she and her staff went through many boys rooms.

I watched with wide eyes as the woman went through every nook and cranny of my personal space. They even emptied my backpack, checked every zipper, and left nothing but disarray behind them.

I felt violated. While this place wasn't my actual home, for now, it was where I lived. What had I done to make them distrust me to such a high extent? "What are you looking for?" My voice was raised ever so above usual. I sounded nervous.

This time, Mrs. Taylor stopped and loomed over me. She wore the only cardigan she seemed to own, a long skirt that covered her ankles, and velcro sandals. Geoffrey probably gagged at her fashion sense.

Or lack there of.

"Are you hiding anything, boy?" Her breathy voice boomed almost accusingly.

I shook my head hard. "I'm not hiding anything!" I shouted. "What would I even be hiding?" The image of diet pills and laxatives popped into my head suddenly. "You don't let us bring in diet pills or anything. How would I even smuggle those things in?"

At the sound of diet pills, Ruth spun around, meeting my eyes. "Why be so specific, Maximus? Did you sneak pills in with you?"

I blew out an exasperated breath. "Please, tell me how in the world would I have done that if you guys checked my bags when I came into this place?" I found myself almost shouting as the woman more or less ignored me. "Can you all stop?"

They continued to rummage, opening my closet and checking all the pockets of my jeans and jackets.

I blinked up at Ruth. She had a blank expression on her face. "I didn't do anything wrong!" I shouted.

Dawn breezed over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Max. I know this must be hard for you, but we have to check everything to make sure you aren't hiding anything from us."