Chapter 10

We spent the next three hours in a carriage exploring the town. Donovan had shown and explained everything that was important in those two hours, and I felt like I could now wander around the town on my own. That gave me a good feeling because now I could do something other than read books in bed once work was done.

Donovan and I were now walking through a street that was filled with people playing instruments and painters at their own personal booths. This was our last stop before dinner and I was saddened by the thought. Today was more fun than I expected. It sucked that we couldn't do this again.

"You don't have any dreams?" Donovan asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"No," I said. "I've never been good at anything and I'm not passionate about anything either."

"You must be good at something." He smiled. "You're you."

I blushed. "Thanks, but trust me. My only talent is sleeping."

He chuckled. "Mine too."

"So you never had a dream either?" I asked curiously.

"Well no," He looked up thoughtfully. "I've had stupid dreams when I was younger. Back when I didn't know my life was set to be a certain way."

"No dream is stupid."

He suddenly gave my a serious look. "I wanted to be clown."

I stared at him blankly, thinking he was joking. From his serious expression, it seemed like he wasn't.

I laughed. "Really? Why a clown?"

"I was a class clown as a child." He shrugged. "Making people laugh was something that fulfilled me."

My eyes softened. "That's kind of sweet."

He smirked, making me regret my words. "Aw, are you falling for me already?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, way to kill the mood."

He pouted, so I then asked, "What were your other dreams?"

"Hmm." He looked up at the clear blue sky thoughtfully once again. "My biggest one was to travel the world. I never got to though, and I doubt I ever will."

"Why not?" I asked, confused. "You definitely have the money to do it."

"Yeah, but I'm the only child in my family," he said. "That means I must attend every party and try to learn parts of my father's job weekly. Having Brianna as a girlfriend also adds to my workload."

I frowned. Not once did I think rich people had so much on their plates. My entire life I just thought they bossed people around and thought the world revolved around them. Donovan was showing me how wrong I was.

"That sucks," I said honestly.

He shook his head. "Being rich is more of a blessing than a sin, unlike being poor."

"Being poor doesn't suck," I said defensively.

"Are you actually poor?"

I shook my head. I wasn't. My parents made an average salary, which meant my life was fine financially. However, I was poor now because my parents were furious about me not going to university, so they decided not to give me any money to live happily financially. That's why I needed this job, so I could save up money to afford living with them again.

"So, you can't really say that," he said.

I sighed. "I guess not."

Donovan seemed to realize I was upset because he took my hand in his. I blushed as I felt his large fingers intertwine with mine. His hands had a comfortable warmth to them.