Chapter 18

Demetrius' POV

I was running, pushing my legs to the limit. I wouldn't let them get me, I couldn't let them get me. I continued to flee, my muscles burned in agony when I refused to take much needed rest. Only one goal registered in my brain.

Sophia.

By now I had lost all my guards, I was a lone ranger, fighting for survival.

The various gunshots that echoed through the trees reminded me that I needed to keep on moving, they were coming in fast, all I needed to do was be faster.

I knocked countless branches from my path resulting in various cuts to my skin. Running in a suit proved a huge struggle and I began to slow down until I decided to discard of the heavy blazer. As I continued to sprint blindly through nature, I could hear the twigs tearing though my shirt, ripping and creating holes in the fabric, I shivered slightly as the cold air hit my exposed skin.

I needed to find civilisation, the longer I remained in the secluded forest the less hope I had of making it out of here alive.

Fabio knew how to play games, he knew how to trick those who went against him, I was fully aware of his cynical tactics, only this time I wasn't expecting it.

There was a single man, he was armed and covered, it happened as soon as I came out of the plane. I wasn't expecting it, at least not this early. I watched unnerved as he came charging at me, gun raised and safety turned off.

Before he could come anywhere near me, my eight guards were already in front of me, a protective wall that I doubt would be broken.

Even though Fabio had decided to personally hire all my guards for me, I wasn't very trusting of him, so I went behind his back to hire some of my own.

"Move out guys, Fabio's orders." I waited with a smirk for the man to realise that these were in fact not Fabio's employees but my own. When he finally did, I heard a reaction I was not expecting.

My men stood still, guns drawn, waiting for the man to make his move.

He shocked me by taking out his phone. "Fabio was right, send in more." I narrowed my eyes at the masked man, wondering what he was up to.

"Send some to the Mavros residence also, I have a feeling there will be even more there. Don't forget, when you get there, kill them all and take Sophia."

Sophia.

At the mention of her name, something sparked within me, without thinking I launched myself at the man blinded with rage, the gun in his hand was the least of my worries.

"What have you done to my wife?" Keeping a firm grip on the man, I pulled off his mask and sent a heavy fist to his jaw and began to choke him.

"What have you done to my wife?" I shouted at the man again, letting him go as he sputtered and coughed for air.

I glared at the sadistic smile on his face. "She's perfectly fine...Fabio has her now." I kept pounding, continuously throwing bone crushing hits to the man's face, I was sure I had broken his nose but I wanted more. "I am going to make you wish you were never alive!" My bloodstained hands only fed my fury, making me angrier. She's with Fabio. His words replayed itself constantly in my mind, I was relentless. Pounding the man and rendering him motionless, I was sure I had killed him in that moment, but looking down upon the slow rise and fall of his chest I couldn't help but feel disappointed, I wanted to kill him.

A series of gunshots forced me off the unconscious man, there was more of them, much more. It was a trap. That man intentionally came on his own. He was a distraction, a sacrifice.