{Four}

I heard my dad come in to check on me. After he left, I noticed that it was eleven o'clock. I must have missed dinner, though my stomach did not beg for food. After the house had quieted down for the night, I crept downstairs to grab a glass of water and some ice for my forehead then returned to my bed. I tossed and turned, unable to get much rest.

My alarm went off during it's normal time of the morning. I glanced at it's glaring light. Anger clouded my thoughts as I understood that I hadn't passed away in my sleep. I added concealer to my neck and then foundation. When I was sure that it looked normal, I found a long sleeve t-shirt and pulled it over my head then put on a pair of jeans. I added my converse shoes and reached for my backpack.

I realized that I hadn't finished my homework last night but didn't care. My body ached and I knew it was going to be a long day. The swelling on my forehead had gone down. It looked like I had run into a door so I figured it would be a great cover up. As I headed down the stairs, mom was already in the living room watching the news for the weather. Dad was in his den. I didn't bother to speak to either of them.

Mom noticed I was headed out the door and called after me but I ignored her, heading straight for the bus. I stepped inside and scrunched my body against the window. I contemplated running from school today but couldn't muster the courage. I imagined neutering Colt and his boys, not realizing we had arrived at Hubert High.

I got off the bus and headed inside, placing my things in the locker. I walked inside Mr. Monroe's class and took a seat toward the front. I considered sitting in my normal seat but didn't want to give Colt the availability to dish details on what happened last night. When the class filed in, they gave me dirty looks for not selecting my normal seat but I didn't pay attention. Instead, I worked on my problems then completed two pages of the homework from the night before. Mr. Monroe continued his normal routine then went back to helping Sandra.

Colt tried to get my attention but I wasn't buying into his game. The group of girls that giggled over their text messages kept pointing at me. I glanced in their direction a few times and noticed that they gave me dirty looks. I shrugged it off and continued to work on homework, when I heard my phone beep. It notified me of a text message.

Clicking on it, I saw that the message was from my best friend, Reid. I wished she was back from her trip so that I could talk to her. As I opened the message, I saw a picture. My mouth gaped as I read her message.

"Harper, this is you, isn't it? What the fuck happened? Are you okay? Who all knows?"

I glanced from her words to the picture. I lay naked, on the floor, in the girls bathroom. It looked like blood had been splattered over me. My clothes were tossed over my personal areas but I was a mess. I locked my phone and raised my hand. I waited for a few moments before Mr. Monroe saw me. When he did, his eyebrow raised.

"Yes, Miss Cromwell?"

I swallowed, blinking the tears back.

"May I be excused to the restroom? I'm not feeling so well."

Mr. Monroe gestured toward the door. "Make it quick, please."

I nodded and headed toward the bathroom. Snickering echoed behind me. When I reached the hall, tears fell down my cheeks once more. I cursed myself for being a baby about the situation and quickly made my way to the restroom. Once inside, I splashed my face with cold water and took a few deep breaths.

I jumped as my phone rang. It was Reid.

"Hello?"

My voice was shaking.

"Harp, what happened?"

The tears spilled over my cheeks with the sobs lodged inside my throat. I tried to swallow it down but I couldn't. Falling to the floor I cried out to my friend though I wasn't able to utter a legible word.