Chapter 5 - New training methods

"Our potential often lies between what is, and what could be."

          At first, I had believed time would come to a still, but it didn't

          At first, I had believed time would come to a still, but it didn't. Even though it became the same tedious routine day in and day out. Training with Four in the training room, pushing even further than the previous day, every time making me feel like it was the last bit of energy I could dig out of myself but I had never once faltered and it always made me stronger. Every day I learnt something new. Eventually I even became quite an adequate fighter.

It had already been a weak since our first time exploring the pit. It was pretty much only Luke now who didn't  have a tattoo, every other transfer initiate had already gotten one, or more. Out of the nine transfers, three already proved quite toxic. Isaac, Emil and Sophia. They had all ganged up, and their foul mood affected us all.

Grace and Aiden hadn't really teamed up with anyone, they were both shy people and mostly kept to themselves. I had tried to talk to Grace but she hadn't been up for it. Aiden on the other hand joined us more and more. Even now I couldn't help but to cast a few glances her way, she was really struggling with the physical training on her own. But I couldn't help someone who didn't accept the hand I reached out.

Four had woken us up as usual this morning, banging the metal rod against the railing, letting the sound of metal against metal sing out into the room before telling us we had ten minutes to get dressed, grab some breakfast and then meet him in the training room.

Roxy and I had been one of the first to arrive. I had begun taking great pride in being on time, showing that I really wanted it. Every fiber in my body was aching and complaining when I preformed even the smallest tasks but I mostly ignored it, it was not going to stop me.

When the trio—Isaac, Emil and Sophia—finally arrived, Four sent them a disapproving look before he reached for one of the guns that had been placed on the table beside him. Eric had joined us today and resumed his usual stance, leaned against a pillar with a grim expression while Four spoke, explaining the day's objectives. Eric would usually stick around to watch, sometimes even participate and bark orders at us but he never took over the training.

Four—now only dressed in a black t-shirt instead of his usual jacket—grasped the gun even tighter and shifted it to hold it in both hands. "Today's lesson will be on how to handle a gun." Four instructed before he quickly checked if there was a bullet in the chamber, making sure there weren't before he then hands it off to the nearest initiate—which is Grace. She jumps and grasp the gun with both hands, holding it tightly cradled against her chest.

Four proceed to do the same to every gun before he hands them out. Once everyone is cradling one of the guns, he offers a rounds of ammunition to us all. I held the two things in separate hands, afraid to do anything before Four resumed the instructions on how to handle it.

"This is no toy, and I except you all to take this seriously." Four's tone was very serious when he grabbed the last gun from the table, quickly checking the chamber before he also grabbed a round of ammunition, which he then quickly fastened to the gun and clicked a bullet into the chamber.