Chapter 17

"I'm Madelyn." I replied.

"I know. And I know what happened."

I suddenly felt quite invaded. "Don't you dare go searching through my mind."

He smirked. "But there's so much I don't know about you."

"Ashlea, how do I stop crazy here from invading my mind?"

"I heard that."

"Just imagine a wall covering your thoughts and memories."

"So you do know. May I ask how?"

"I'll tell you once that Tyler stops reading your mind."

"Alrighty then."

I focused on an image of a brick wall. I imagined it wrapping around my mind, guarding my thoughts, emotions, and feeling from any prying eyes.

"Did it it work?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Now are you going to tell me?"

"Long story short, I was a shifter spirit for a boy and this demented guy with powers was trying to find out how he could shift. I had to figure it out myself."

"Okay."

I sighed, looking out through the wire of the cage. Scientists clad in white strolled through the hallways, taking notes as they passed shifter after shifter. I glared at them, then looked away.

"Those jerks."

"Indeed."

My stomach growled hungrily, probably from all the flying that I had done. It had taken a lot out of me. I wanted to sleep, but who knew what those scientists would do while I was sleeping? Even though I knew it would tempt me to sleep, I was cold, so I wrapped my wings around me. I glanced at Trinity, who had done the same.

"I hate this." I muttered "Why do they want to do this to us?"

"Probably because they think we're freaks of nature." said a voice behind me, and I knew it was Tyler. I looked behind myself to look at him.

"Do you have a plan to get us out of this mess, Tyler? If not, then I'd keep my mouth shut if I were you. I'm not exactly pleased at our current situation."

I heard him mutter "Well, it's your fault you're in this mess. Actually, it's your fault all of the shifters are in this mess."