Chapter II

Since these first two chapters are short, I figured I'd post them quickly. I hope you guys like it.

___________________________________________________________________________

Chapter II: Resemblance

I stumbled off the plane feeling shaky. I hadn't ever been on a plane before, and apparently I had been through really bad turbulence, though I had nothing to compare it to. There was a black car waiting for me, I went to grab my bags and saw someone carrying them.

"Let me get that,"

"No, no, really it's my pleasure." He offered. I had to admit I liked his accent. And it was only beginning. See, I have a thing for British accents, my friends can tell you all about that.

"But I feel bad,"

"Why, miss? It's my job."

I cocked my head to the side. "Your job?"

"I'm one of Mr. Eastgate's servants."

"He has servants?"

He looked at me like he was wondering if I was joking or not. I wasn't.

"So, you're his slave?"

"Servants and slaves are very different miss! Servants have been a vital part of British society for hundreds of years. It's a noble profession."

"So, you like serving?"

"Yes,"

I shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat."

He looked at me like I had grown a few extra heads. I figured I should probably keep my mouth shut. I let them lead me to the car and usher me inside. I watched in silence as the countryside whizzed by. We were taken to a huge house.

"Welcome, to Eastgate Manor."

"By the way, what is your name?"

"Oh, I am Thomas." He smiled.

"I didn't say it before, but it's a pleasure to meet you." I offered my hand. Thomas smiled and shook it.

"The pleasure is all mine." He assured me, bowing to me. "Allow me to escort you inside." I was led through the ornate marble fixtures and archways to what I guessed was the main house.

"Thomas, who is this?" came a high pitched whine.

I looked behind me to see a beautiful girl. She had full curves, was tall with impossibly long legs. Her hair was a pale blonde, I couldn't tell if it was natural or out of a bottle. Her eyes were a pretty shade of blue, but they were narrowed into slits. I had this funny feeling she didn't like me.

"A guest of your father."

"You didn't answer my question." She snapped. I felt underdressed in my jeans and an Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt. I fidgeted with my fedora. She was wearing a pale blue sundress with a large brimmed white hate and strappy white sandal heels. Somehow, I had this feeling my dirty converse wouldn't be accepted here.

"I'm Juliet," I interrupted, offering my hand.

"Juliet? I've never heard of you. And why are you dressed like that?"

"Um, because this is how I dress?"

"What kind of person dresses like that to meet someone like my father? Have you no respect?" she shouted at me.

"Angelica," came a stern voice behind me.

"Daddy!" she cooed. Her entire demeanor changed. Her scowl became a cheerful smile and her eyes brightened. "I think this girl is lost."

The man turned to me and I was taken aback. It was too weird, almost like looking into a mirror only with a guy and older. The main difference was the eyes. I had my mother's eyes. It was the only resemblance I had to her. We both had the same almond shaped, storm grey eyes. This man had the same black hair as me, only his was peppered with grey. He looked at least twenty years older than me.

"You must be Juliet," he smiled.

I nodded. "Yes, and you are?"

"My name is James, but we may be closer than you realize. I have a favor to ask of you."

"You want a favor?"

"Would you be willing to do a simple test?"

"What kind of test?"

"A blood test,"

"What the fuck?"

"You do not talk that way to Daddy!" Angelica hissed. "You will respect him!"

"That's quite enough Angelica." James scolded. She gaped at him and then glared at me. She crossed her arms and stomped her foot as she turned away from me.

"Perhaps a private word? Come, let me escort you to my study."

"Whoa there hoss, I don't know about all that."

"I wish to ask about your mother." A strange look crossed his face. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything. "Give me the chance to explain these circumstances. If you do not like them, you are welcome to leave at any time, but please accept my hospitality for at least one night. You just flew for nine hours. I'm sure you're tired."

"Actually, I slept on the plane."

He sighed. "I know this seems strange, but this is not something I can discuss in public."

I sighed. "Okay, but I'm warning you, if things get fishy I'm getting back on that plane and getting the hell out of here."

He smiled. "Fair enough." He led me through a maze of hallways and rooms and it didn't take me long to be completely disoriented and lost. He led me into a room lined with books. I marveled at it. "Please, take a seat." He offered indicating a few leather seats as he took the chair behind a large mahogany desk that looked at least two hundred years old.

I sat stiffly in the chair, it was more comfortable that it looked and I tried settling in.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-one."

He smiled at me. "I had a feeling. I knew your mother many years ago." He was staring in my direction but not looking at me. He was somewhere else entirely. "I loved her. Never question that." I had a feeling I knew where this story was going. "She was studying at Cambridge for a term, and she was visiting the Louvre on the same day I was. It didn't take me ten minutes to realize the kind of woman she was. She didn't realize who I was, and when she did, it didn't matter. She was unlike any woman I had ever met. Life was simpler back then. I didn't have responsibilities, or cares, or any idea what the real world was like. I can safely say the time I spent with your mother was the happiest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, Millie, but things were different with us. We were betrothed. I had no idea your mother was pregnant when she left."

I felt the color drain from my face. The blood in my veins felt like ice. "Are you saying?"

"Yes, I believe I am."

"Who are you to me?"

"I believe you may be my daughter." I felt the room start spinning and my breathing was faster than it should have been. I felt the sides of my vision start to fade to blackness.

___________________________________________________________

I hope you guys like it, please rate and comment.