Bonus #3: Take Me Home

The suite of rooms he called home seemed empty; a silent, looming presence. Mikhael leaned his forehead against the railing that ran along the roof, his gaze vacant. Perhaps he had grown too used to Selene's presence. He wasn't sure if that was entirely a bad thing. The candles had gone out a long time ago, but their scent still lingered. He could still feel her presence, as though she hadn't left. He could have wished he hadn't let her go, but he wasn't that kind of man. He may not have liked it, but she had been right: her staying would all but guarantee that what they had seen would come to pass. He was disturbed at an elemental level, but he watched the sun rise above the horizon with a quiet acceptance. The gentle warmth washing over him did not soothe him today, nor did it wipe away the restless frustration.

Some time later he heard the rumbling purr of a car's engine, growing louder as it came closer. The crunch of gravel as the car came up the driveway, then silence once more. Four crunches as the passengers disembarked, then footsteps. Silence. A key in the lock, the click as it opened, a soft creak as the door swung open and another click as it shut. Mikhael didn't move even though the sun was in his eyes now, inspiring a dull throb in his temple. He stared steadily at the view in front of him, now awash in a golden glow from the sunlight. Probing with his mind, he sensed Darius among those in his suite. So he had been outed to his father. For some inexplicable reason, he couldn't bring himself to care. It all seemed so unimportant, distant.

Doors were being opened and shut below him, unhurried; the sounds were slowly moving further into the suite, symbolic of the fact that they were invading him through their actions; the intruders made no secret of their presence. Then the first peal rang out, soon followed by another and another and another in a chorus of bells. Mikhael closed his eyes, savouring the feeling of the strain seeping from his eyes, and then pushed to his feet.

It was time.

***

The first person he saw when he went down was Darius. The other man just looked at him, his expression unreadable.

"Ambrosios," he said by way of greeting. He was in uniform: fitted trousers, full-sleeved turtleneck shirt and boots, all in black.

"Darius," Mikhael replied evenly.

"Where is she?"

"Not here."

"Where is she?" he repeated tonelessly.

"I don't know," Mikhael admitted. "She left during the night. I don't know where she went."

Darius' eyes narrowed, but he stepped aside after a glance over Mikhael's shoulder.

"Well, now. That's unfortunate... Especially considering that she left you behind to face the burn," a new voice said. "Never pegged you to be the one who'd go soft."

Mikhael exhaled sharply, turning to face his sister.

"You see, daddy's on the warpath, and you just lost him the prize. He won't be happy, and he'll most certainly want to see you and hear your side of things. You know it's been a while," Eleanor said, leaning forward on the railing and gazing out over the living room below.

Mikhael's lips pressed into a thin line, the only indication of his displeasure.

"Little things, Mik. You keep forgetting the little things. I warned you not to get involved." She looked at him then, resigned. "There's nothing I can do for you now. It's all in his hands."

"I'm aware," was all he said, his tone revealing nothing about the feelings coursing through him.

Eleanor considered this for a minute before nodding. "Very well, then. Let's go meet Vincent."