|| 31 ||

It ain't easy growin up in World War III. Never knowin' what love could be, you'll see. I don't want love to destroy me like it has done my family! Can we work it out? Can we be a family? I promise I'll be better, Mommy I'll do anything. Can we work it out? Can we be a family? I promise I'll be better, Daddy please don't leave.

«Family Portrait» P!nk*

-----

"What am I supposed to do when you won't get out of bed?!" Mom's muffled voice comes from down the hall, as I reach the top of the stairs.

"It's your fault I can't get out of bed!" Daddy yells back.

Mama lets out an exhausted laugh. "How do you figure that?!"

"I never had any problems before I married you! I was in the best shape of my life before you!"

I squeeze my eyes closed tight, gripping my Cinderella cup even tighter. I turn the opposite direction towards my room, hoping I can fall asleep before they can finish and come to kiss me goodnight.

I stop short in front of Hayden's room. It's only seven, but Mommy probably put him to bed early. I put my juice under my arm and use both hands to slowly twist the door open. I stick my head in and see him sitting up in bed with his favorite book mom always reads to him, although she probably didn't today.

"Haydee?" I whisper. He looks up and his face lights up.

"Andi! Will you read the story?" he asks, holding the book out in front of him. He's a smart little brother, even if he's only three and makes us watch Dragon Tales every time I say I want to watch Hannah Montana. I make him watch it with me sometimes. He likes when Lilly wears her Lola wig. He says she looks like one of those rainbow lollipops Daddy takes us to get when we're good, as long as we don't tell mama. Sometimes he even lets me get a bigger candy, since I'm six and a half and I am big enough now.

"Yeah, okay," I say and climb under the covers with him. He hands the book to me and rests his head on my chest with his arm draped across my stomach. I nuzzle my head against his and open to the first page. He holds the flashlight up and I start reading out loud.

He reads every time they say 'I love you, Blue Kangaroo' and I smile down at his cute little face excited to say the few words he recognizes. Every once in a while, I can still hear some voices from down the hall, but it's not as bad and I feel better knowing Hayden is cuddled into my side and not left alone to listen.

I finish the story and notice Hayd fast asleep on my shoulder. I take the light from his limp hand and turn it off, placing it and the book on the floor beside me.

The voices are more clear in the silence, but I can tell by their change of tone that they are close to being done and going to bed. Five minutes later, I hear their door open and shut. Footsteps walk out and I know it's Dad going to his office until Mommy falls asleep. That also means Mom will be coming in to check on us and pretend nothing is wrong, give us a kiss, and turn out the lights. I always do my best to be asleep by that time on days like these, but tonight I'll just have to fake it so I don't have to look her in the eye until the morning when it's all blown over.

Sure enough, I snap my eyes shut when I see the door creak open. She walks towards us and watches, before placing a kiss on both of our foreheads. I can't see her, but I know the drill.

She leaves, and I cuddle Hayden tight.

"Andi," a voice giggles. "Babe, wake up."

"Snooze," I mumble. The voice laughs louder, arms trying to shake me from sleep.