24

"So while introducing the African Cane Toad, sounded like a good way to deal with Australia's infestation of the Grey-backed beetle-" I glanced back to look at the clock but caught Theo's eye. I frowned and he nodded over to Sydney, who was pulling at her hair. "Unfortunately, the toad also decided to eat everything else in sight"  Mrs Finch droned on.

I pulled out my phone, scrolling to Theo's contact.

I messaged. 'Chimera?'

Lydia looked over at me and I nodded towards Sydney.

"And everything that tried to eat the toad, from crocodiles to household pets, quickly died from the poison they secreted" Mrs Finch carried on.

My phone buzzed and I glanced down to see the reply from Theo.

'Look at her hair'

Lydia's eyes hovered over my phone for a moment before we both exchanged glances and looked over at her hair. Sydney brought her hand down which had clumps of hair in it.

"A perfect example of an invasive species. One-hundred and two toads introduced in 1935 became 1.
5 billion by 2010. Once an invasive species is introduced, everything changes" Our teacher explained.

Sydney suddenly rose from her seat and placed the drop form on the desk.

"Wise decision, Sydney" The teacher said.

Lydia quickly sprung up from her seat and started to follow when Miss stopped her.

"Lydia, you know it's for the best"

Lyds ignored her and continued on walking to follow Sydney.

Theo and I shared a glance.

This isn't good.

~

"Lydia? Lydia?" I repeated, kneeling next to my best friend.

"Lydia?" Scott asked. "Are you okay?"

I saw her eyelids flutter and she gasped, her hand shaking. Scott reached down and grabbed it.

"I'm okay" she replied. "Fine"

"You remembered something?" I asked.

"Not about the dread doctors. Nothing about them or the surgery"

"What was it?" Scott wondered as we helped her up.

"My grandmother. At eichen house"

"Lydia!" I heard the clicking of heels in the hall. "Lydia?" Her mom came running over, Sydney behind her. "Oh my god, what happened? Are you alright?"

"Mom I'm fine. It was nothing"

"Was it a blackout? Did you faint?"

"Yeah. Yeah I fainted. And I'm fine. I promise"

I wasn't convinced that she was fine.

Not at all.

~

A/N

Sorry this was short.

I'm working on a Kara flashback for the next chapter though how exciting 😂