20 || Goals

Louis heard that Manang Mila had asked to talk to Faith the next morning in her office. After an hour or so, Faith reemerged and headed straight to her room. He sincerely wished they had sorted things out. He didn't get the chance to see her for the rest of the day after their heated conversation yesterday. There was so much to be said, but as usual when it came to her, Louis felt like he was always stepping around land mines.

Maybe I should tell her about the worst experience of my life too? Louis wondered as he dragged the makeshift goal posts for the football practice for the kids. Faith generally had an idea that he used to be a juvenile delinquent, but he didn't really tell her the worst part of his life. It wasn't that he was hiding it, it was as simple as there was never the right time to say something so... disturbing in everyday conversation. He could already imagine the colour draining from her pretty face.

Shaking his head, Louis decided to focus on the task at hand. Since he wasn't in the mood to teach basic English, he decided that they should do something fun for a change. His mind filled with thoughts about dribbling balls and missing his boys back home, Louis sauntered to the gate mindlessly. Before locking the huge gate to make sure no child will slip out by accident, he noticed someone outside.

Louis remembered the first time he met Niall, who had been attempting to smoke his cigs but failed. This man, however, was his new friend's complete opposite. For one, he smoked his cigarette like a pro. The sleeve of tattoos that covered his arms were dark and detailed, worn like accessories in contrast to his plain black tank. His jet black hair was covered by a beanie of the same color, and his stubble accentuated his sharp jaw. 

"Excuse me?" Louis couldn't help himself, waving his hand from inside the gate. The man frowned at him. "Mister? Yeah, you. This is an orphanage. You can't smoke outside!"

The stranger with the pierced ears said nothing, and threw the stick on the pavement. Looking at Louis, he crushed it under his brand new pair of Nikes and leaned against the car behind him. The automobile didn't match his swagger, so Louis figured it was a rental.

Shaking his head in disappointment, Louis was about to close the gate when he saw a small girl standing by his knee. "Liit!" he said as he picked her up in his arms. "We're going to play football today. Sali ka?"

"Yes, Father Louis!!" Liit nodded enthusiastically. "Play football!!!"

While carrying the child in his arms, Louis was unsettled. What was that man doing outside? He peered outside the again for good measure, but the man was standing right beside the gate. If it weren't for the sake of keeping Liit safe, he might have yelped in surprise and dropped her.

The man laughed, having observed his reaction. "Sorry to have startled you."

British. "No problem, mate," Louis said easily, always feeling some sort of camaraderie with his countrymen. "Did you need anything?" Of course, Liit, who was always one to spot the new face in the room, simply stared at the man with the tattooed arms. She wordlessly pointed at the ink on his hands, like she wanted to reach out and touch each piece of art on his skin.

"Where you from?" the man asked. "I'm Zayn, by the way."

"Louis," he said. "Doncaster born and raised."

"You're like a volunteer or something?"

Louis nodded, stepping outside. "Yeah. Been here for half a year and counting."

"Ah, that's great. You're a hero, man," Zayn said, honestly in awe. "I mean, six months? That's real charity, alright. Gotta respect people like you." He extended a hand and Louis took it because he was polite.