Listen [27]

[twenty-seven]

As soon as she and the judge returned to their seats, the judge began to speak. "Kari have cooperated well and chose the custody of herself and Gus. And according to her decision, the custody of Kari and Gus will be handed over to..."

In the millisecond, she looked over at her parents sitting on their separate ways, looking forward and avoiding any gaze with each other. There was no hint of love in the either one's eyes. Her mother looked firm regarding the annulment. While the look in her father's eyes were different and firmer and her mother's.

And that's when she realized that her mother and father were never destined to be together in the first place. They weren't made for each other.

Not all the mistakes have amendments and those are only the lucky ones that do.

"...their father."

She let out a long sigh as the judge said these words and closed her eyes, remembering every time when she heard the low sobbing of her father when she was small. Just because I can't be a good father to my girl doesn't mean I don't want to. This was the last thing going on in her mind before she wrote one word in the notebook in clear, large letters. 

DADDY.

She looked at her father who was astonished after hearing this. There was joy and hope bursting through his eyes as if this was the only thing he wanted. Another chance.

She looked at her mother who noticed her gaze and gave her a small smile. Nothing had changed. They were still her family. But in a different way.

Gus dashed towards his father and he scooped him up in his arms, laughing and crying at the same time. Before she could step forward, she looked back at her mother and gave her a smile, mouthing I love you. Her mother placed her fingers on her lips and then pointed them towards her direction before walking away.

Then Kari found herself walking, then speeding up and then bounding towards her dad's open arms.