Ch. 31 Sergeant Major

Start from the beginning

I met with every single patient I'd worked with, ending with Peter.

He smiled, "Britt's back. How are you doing, sweetie?"

"I'm fine. How are you feeling?"

"Tired."

I nodded and looked at Melanie. "And you?"

"Awesome. We showed Dad your dress," she smiled.

I looked at Peter. "Like it?"

"Love it. Tell you what, you two gals should meet up and do a photo shoot in your dresses. They're both beautiful and they'd complement each other well," he smiled.

"We may just have to do that," Melanie smiled.

I nodded and took Peter's vitals.

"Good morning, Britt," Kelly spoke, coming in. She gave Peter and Melanie kisses. "Did you have a nice evening?"

"It was fine," I spoke, writing in the chart.

"Uh oh. What'd he do?" Peter asked.

"Nothing. I'm the one being ridiculous."

"Somehow I doubt that," Kelly spoke. "You're taking it easy today, right?"

I nodded.

"Okay. Would you mind doing some post-op reports for me?"

"Not at all."

She smiled, "Great. They're all over at the nurses' station. Kristi should know where they are."

"Okay. Then, you'll know where to find me," I smiled. I left the room and went to the nurses' station.

Kristi handed me the paperwork and notes.

I got to work.

Every hour, I got up and checked on patients. I changed central lines and fluids. I took blood and took it to it to the lab. I did scans, too.

Around one, Dr. Cole came up to me. "Dr. Malone, I need your opinion on a patient." She handed me the chart.

I looked at it.

It was a 16-year-old who had almost an identical case to Peter's.

"What am I looking at?" I asked.

"Your research is going to be put to action. That treatment plan you made? We're going to put it in a clinical trial."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. You in?"

"Hell yeah."

"I was about to go tell the Hamilton family the news, see if they want in on it. You want to come?"

I nodded and stood. I followed her into his room.

Drew, Melanie, aunts and uncles, Kelly, and Jake sat around Peter. When had they all come in?

"Dr. Cole? Is something wrong?" Kelly asked, gripping Peter's hand.

"No, no. I just wanted to make you aware of a new treatment plan that's pending approval for a clinical trial," she smiled.

"At this hospital?" Peter asked.

"At this hospital. In fact, Dr. Malone actually came up with the treatment plan. It targets only your kind of cancer. It's very detailed. I'd give you the notes she wrote on it all, but they're with the Chief."

I looked at her. "Really?"

She nodded. "Yes, it's a very good plan..." She explained it to him in depth. She explained everything from what kind of cells and treatment we'd use and how that would effect his cancer.