Prologue

The favourite food of us all, the pizza, if it's properly baked and has all the right topping on it, it contains over one thousand calories. The American chocolate chip cookies we all love and cherish very much – one of them has roughly three hundred calories. If we drink the three litres we're supposed to drink of water of something else, like one of our very favourite sodas, Coca Cola, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, that calculates up to over half the calories you're supposed to consume per day. And don't even get me started on birthday cake...

When you go to run for an hour, that doesn't mean necessarily that you're going to lose weight if you continue to eat normally, no, it means that you may be able to maintain your current weight. Riding your bike, swimming, all those activities we can get ourselves to do with minimal effort when actually committing to sports, I looked it up and I'm sorry to inform you that they barely burn any calories at all. And that's what most of us want, isn't it? So that means, if you want to be skinny, you can never treat yourself without losing motivation. That's bullshit if you ask me and I'm not afraid to say it.

I am of course aware of the fact that a lot of people generally have a great metabolism and that people who do sports do it not only to lose or maintain their weight, but to be healthy and fit. But let's be real, a lot of us enjoy pizza, a good TV-show and all the activities that you don't burn a lot of calories with, and they don't give you a lot of strength either. And I'm not even talking about being a couch potato exclusively, but neither riding rollercoasters, nor going on city trips will make you fit.

I, for one, don't care about any of that. You're entitled to your own opinion about weight and beauty, health and fitness, but mine is this: everybody can do what what they want and they should not be called out on it. You can argue that it's justified when someone's endangering themselves, but even then, if you cannot help them, it's not your issue to fix. And I'm not saying that you should do what I do, because it sure as hell isn't a healthy mindset for my physicality, but it's also nobody else's business than my own. I also want to discourage you from blaming people who don't work out by assuming they just don't care or that they're not informed.

Because I can tell you, I am very well-informed and I know that I am way happy when I eat and have fun the way I want to than when I starve myself, torture myself to ruin and ruin my knees, I can only do that when I'm in the mood.

You don't need to be skinny and fit to be happy, and it doesn't mean that when you are, you're going to have a better life. You're just like everybody else, no matter what your eating habits and your fitness app look like.

I also understand that feeling that a lot of people doing sports crave, the weakness and ache of your body that shows that you've done something, the power that comes to you because you've accomplished something. I just believe that the feeling of pizza in your mouth, cheese melting on your tongue is much more satisfying and there's nothing wrong with that. Because, and to get the obvious out of the way, my name is Bev Nicholls and I'm completely happy with my life, my body is not holding me back from anything. And I'm not living a lesser life because of the fact that I weigh 130kg.