Chapter 49

3rd person...

Luke and Bella made it too the house, rushing in after an older couple who were quicker than them.

"Hello Mr and Mrs Irwin." Maria greeted the pair. Luke raised an eyebrow but didn't question the switch of his last name, or the fact that he'd married Bella without knowing...interesting. "Ricky is in the other room helping the children clean up, he'll be out shortly but would you two mind coming in the other room with me? I'd like to ask you something."

Bella and Luke nodded, a bit confused as they followed the elder lady into the kitchen. They sat at what looked like a school lunch table all the way in the corner of the large room.

"So," Maria spoke, "We have this program that the state provides to our children. People volunteer and come and take one of the children home for a weekend. They usually switch up the kids just to be fair, but if you'd like to do this you'd get Ricky every time. The program is mostly for people who aren't quite sure if adopting is right for them."

Bella and Luke looked at each-other, no need to use words.

They turned back towards Maria and blurted out in sync, "When can we take him?"

Ms. Maria chuckled. "Not this weekend, the next one? All the children know about the process, you just have to make sure you don't make it seem like your keeping him forever because that will hurt him, okay?"

"Of course, we don't want to do that." Bella bit her lip, holding back the smile she had waiting to spread across her face. Luke squeezed Bella's hand under the table in excitement.

Maria gave them a soft smile, getting up and telling them she had to go check on everything. Bella and Luke immediately turned to each other with pure excitement in their eyes.

"We'll go buy him clothes and stuff so he has things for our house and, I'm so excited!" Bella squealed, hugging Luke.

Luke immediately hugged her back, pretending he didn't hear our house. He needed to make things official with Bella, and fast.

The stood up from the table and walked into the living room.

"Ricky!" Bella called to the boy crouched down in the corner of the room. The small boy whipped around, throwing his dustpan to the side when he saw them.

"Guys!" He cried around, sprinting across the room to them.

Luke laughed, picking up the small boy and placing him on his hip. "Hey buddy."

"Hey Lukey," Ricky smiled, wrapping his short arms around Luke's neck. He then leaned over to hug Bella, staying in Luke's arms.

"Why are you here?" Richard knitted his eyebrows together in confusion.

"We wanted to come visit you, you okay with that?" Bella smiled, poking his chubby cheek.

Ricky nodded ferociously. "I wanted to see you. I don't like these meanies." He whispered, afraid Sam or Julie would hear him.

Bella frowned, "I'm sorry Ricky. But guess what?"

"What?" Ricky asked, that little smile never leaving his face.

"Luke and I can take you to our house to sleepover on the weekends." Bella told Ricky, "Would you like that?"

He nodded his little head over and over, "I'll love that!" The little child beamed kissing Luke on the cheeks before hugging him tightly around his neck. "Can I show you my room?"

Ricky squirmed around until Luke put him down, he grabbed both Bella and Luke's hands and dragged them upstairs to the small closet sized room.

"I sleep on the bottom bunk," Ricky informed them, pointing to the lower level bed with a small blanket and his stuffed bear. "I like to watch outside my window."

Bella smiled softly. She used to do that a lot.

"I don't have a lot to show you in here," Ricky smiled. The innocence of you children is adorable, they're always smiling and something really bad, usually, if they're not. "When's the weekend?"

"In two days, buddy." Luke ruffled his hair, fist pumping the six year old.

****2 days later****

"Ready to come with us?" Luke asked, adjusting the beanie on top of Ricky's head.

The blonde boy nodded excitedly, grabbing Luke's hand. Bella walked out of the small office, which meant she finished signing out Ricky for the weekend. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with Ricky.

They'd grabbed some clothes for him along with a tooth brush and anything else he'd need to stay over.

Hopefully things went alright, Calum and Mikey were there still-Ashton had gone off to who knows where and some suspicions had lead to the thought of him going to visit Casey...Nothing was right at the moment, but Bella and Luke had Ricky for a few days and wouldn't ruin that.

Bella grabbed Ricky's other hand, swinging him down the pathway.

"I'm so excited!" He beamed as Bella buckled him in the car.

"I'm excited to," She smiled, poking his nose before closing the door and walking around to the passenger side of the car where she got in on the side of Luke.

"Are you married together?" Ricky questioned, staring out the window.

"Hmm?" Luke questioned, glancing at the little boy through the review mirror.

"Are you and Bella married together?" He repeated.

Luke blushed, looking over at Bella who began laughing at Luke's expression.

"I'd like to be," Luke finally spoke up, Bella's face completely changing from laughing hysterically with tears in her eyes to wide eyes while she was a bit take back. "But nope, not yet."

"We're boyfriend and girlfriend," Bella decided it was her turn to talk, as she shifted to turn around towards Richard, Luke raised his eyebrow. She smirked cockily, "What? I didn't feel like waiting any longer, I have to make some calls or else it would never happen. Besides, I heard you talking to Cal."

Luke's face was as red as a tomato. He just chuckled and continued to drive.

"Ricky, want ice cream?"