Chapter One.

© All rights reserved. LittleThingsInLife

Chapter 1

"Argghh, Derek put me down." I giggled, having just been woken by him scooping me up and throwing me over his shoulder. My bedroom flipped on itself; Ariel was swimming on her head and Beauty and the Beast were dancing upside down. His gruff chuckles continued all the way downstairs and into the kitchen, where he put me down only to start tickling me until I dropped to the floor gasping out, readying to scream out again as he went to his knees intent on torturing me some more.

"Derek, leave her be, she'll be sick and it won't even be because of all these pancakes we know she'll eat." mom scolded and teased at the same time. Upon hearing the word 'pancake' I quickly crawled out from underneath Derek, jumped into my usual chair and leaned forward impatiently waiting for the stack of delicious pancakes to be placed in front of me.

"Happy birthday baby," She happily chirped dropping the plate of warm pancakes covered in syrup within my greedy distance. I looked at the number 10 she'd sprayed on the top with whipped cream. I grabbed for my fork as she placed a kiss on top of my head before sitting down with Derek and starting on their own breakfast.

"Thanks." I mumbled with a chunk of food partially chewed up in my mouth. I could see the disapproval and amusement on my mother's face but she didn't say anything; it was my birthday after all.

"We've planned the whole day for you princess," Derek started, using his special nickname for me, knowing how much I wanted to be a princess when I grew up. Derek had been in mine and my mother's life for three years now. My real father left me and my mom when I was five years old. He promised to have me on the weekends... then every other weekend, and soon it was goodbye forever.

It used to upset me, but when I turned seven, mom met Derek and he was the perfect substitute, happily making me forget about the father that didn't want me. He'd do anything for me; even watch endless Disney movies with me on his days off.

I looked up at him, momentarily forgetting my half eaten pancakes, wanting to know what they had in store for my special day.

"Once we've opened presents," I grinned at the thought "we're going to watch whatever movie you want, then the two of us will head on over to the park while your mom stays here and gets your favourite dinner ready and then the three of us will go over to the ice cream parlour and you can have as much ice cream as you-" a stern cough from my mom had him stopping mid sentence and backtracking "-you can eat one bowl of whatever ice cream you want?" he ended with a question.

He looked over at mom to make sure what he said was acceptable and I held in a laugh; Derek was always trying to hype me up on ice cream so I knew I wouldn't just get one bowl. We both looked at each other and smirked, mom would give in; iIt was my birthday after all.

It turned out they had lied a little on what the plan for the day was; I opened all my presents as promised, and we watched Beauty and the Beast at my request, then me and Derek went to the park where he pushed me on the swing and got into trouble by some of the other parents there for trying to climb on the monkey bars with me. I did not however go home to the expected meal my mom was supposed to cook me, oh no...

"Surprise,"

My mouth dropped open and I jumped up in excitement; A party for me! I could see a few kids from my school but the faces I shot to were my old best friends; The Spencer's. I hadn't seen them for three years and I squealed, pulled out of Derek's hand and ran to them.

They'd had to move away after Sandra and Karl Spencer realised they had too many kids and not enough space. Because of how badly we took the move the adults decided it would be best if little contact was made; it would only hurt again every time they visited.