Chapter 7: Contractor

The Heart of a Mate: Chapter 7: Contractor

Lauren's POV

               My eyes opened to my high casted room, bits of my comforter and even the bed frame was burned from the surges of fire that shot from Pyro's hands. I rolled over and cuddled against my lover's body, only moving when he began to chuckle. I looked up into Pyro's obsidian eyes, so dark and expressive. "What's so funny?" 

He laid his back with me halfway on his chest. "Nothing." 

He pulled at the charred fabric, "Sorry about the damage." 

I laughed before completely rolling out of red. "It's fine." Blisters still decorated our upper arms where Pyro had grabbed me. "It had felt good at the time..." Because I was half demon, any pain inflicted on me by my mate delivered nothing but ecstasy. 

Pyro followed suit and was next to me in a few short strides. He pulled me against his bare chest, his flaccid member pushing against my own. "I love you Lauren, remember that." 

               My eyes shot open, my heart pounding mercilessly against my ribs. Jay was still asleep next to me; Pyro's sleeping form still a few feet from me. The dream had been so real. It was the first time Pyro and I had made love and no matter what rune I had discovered on his ankle, I knew it had been the true Pyro with me that night... 

'Lauren, help me!' I quickly clutched my ears only to discover the words had been directly aimed at my thoughts. 'Help me!' 

"Pyro?" The whisper left my lips. It was his voice: the same melodic stance mixed with cocky pride. 

I looked at Jay before pushing out of the chair and making my way over to the edge of the bed. 'Lauren, help me...' His voice was beginning to dim. 

"Pyro?!" I caressed his cheek, his pale skin cold to the touch. "How can I help you?" I felt completely and utterly useless. He was half-vampire, half-demon - infected with Vampire Ashe. I looked down at him, the sun glinting off the teeth that peeked through his lips. I lightly traced them, seemingly mesmerized by the foreign shape. "Ow." I quickly pulled my hand away, the tip of my index finger beading with ruby-red liquid. I gently pulled on his lip to open his mouth further. He was a Vampire and had drunk my blood before. I mentally braced myself and brought my wrist to the razor-like teeth. I took a breath before adding the pressure needed. I wanted to scream as the small incisors pierced the delicate area. Blood dripped into his mouth, layering his tongue within a minute. My knees buckled when the pain turned to pleasure. The deeper his teeth went, the harder I got. This wasn't supposed to be happening...Shudders wracked my body once I finally managed to pull away, my head light and vision hazy. There was already more color back in his cheeks and some of the minor cuts had healed. I leaned down so that I was just inches from him. "I still love you." My stray tears hit his face as I leaned in closer. I gently pushed my lips against his, the taste of my blood still heavy in his mouth. 

               I pulled Jay behind me, pointing at the main meeting hall, "This ones like the group tent at home." I was giving Jay the tour of the District. He was interested in the older architecture - unlike the Shifter District; the Demon District was thriving with ancient buildings. 

"Good morning Lauren!" A bright eyed child ran up to me, her hands full of freshly picked wild flowers. She pulled one out and handed it to me. She smiled proudly before running off again. 

"Thank you!" I called after her. 

Jay chuckled as we continued walking. The cobble stones were uneven under my feet once we reached some of the buildings closer to the outskirts. I had only seen these on my trips to the Vampire District. The air had become musty from the river that flowed a few feet away. He approached it and stared at our reflections, Jay's tannish reflection stark against my own pale flesh. "What's wrong Baby?" He pulled me closer and nuzzled his nose into my neck. "Lauren..." 

"I made a mistake Jay. I convinced you to allow Mika back into Jacoby's life and look at him now-" 

"You can't blame yourself for Mika's actions." He was wrong - I was responsible because Mika wouldn't have had the opportunity if it weren't for me. "Get down!" Jay and I fell to the uneven ground, water splashing up around us. A tree next to us cracked and broke as if provoked. Jay growled on top of me before he shifted and headed off into the woods. I wanted to run after him but even I knew better than that. I scrambled for cover, taking a shaded place among the trees. I waited for Jay, watching as the sun fell - casting everything into pinkish hues. Jay was a great hunter but I still worried because he became a bit capricious - especially when it came to me. 

               Jay padded back into the clearing, a strip of cloth in his cogent jaws. I slid down from my hiding place and took the ripped fabric. My eyes widened at the rune stamped in the center. It was swirls doubled and stacked among each other. I hadn't even noticed Jay once again shifted and was now standing behind me. "You know what it means?" 

"It's a Contractor's lease." I remember my father hiring a couple of them over the years - they were ruthless killers...assassin was a better name for them. They typically carried no scent so they themselves wouldn't be tracked and they never quit until their target was taken care of. I had to have the privilege of being his target. There were too many fucken reasons why I was targeted so that route really didn't help at all. 

               I walked up to the Grand Estate, the two guards slightly bowing in respect. They were the ones that were supposed to be trailing me around but I refused - now I had no choice after hearing Jay lecture me the whole way back. 

"I'm not playing around Lauren." 

I quickly turned to face him, "I get it Jay! Stop fucken lecturing me like I'm you pup." 

"Maybe if you stopped acting like a pup then I wouldn't harangue you like one." He shot back. He bit his lip for a moment before continuing in a softer voice. "I'm sorry baby; it's just - you don't know how scared I was when I thought I was going to lose you..." This was the vulnerability Jay rarely showed - being Alpha meant you could never show any weakness - in his eyes at least. 

I grabbed his hand and held it close. "I'm not going anywhere Jay." I kissed him, our lips a bit hesitant before melting against each other. "I love you." 

"I love you more." He teased. I rolled my eyes but didn't bother to argue. 

"Sir?" One of the girls ran into the hall, her cheeks flushed a rosy pink and her hair falling out of her normally well-kept bun. 

I released Jay and gave her my full attention. "Yeah, what is it?" 

"It's Pyronethesis my liege..." 

My heart seized. "What is it? What happened to him?!" 

She fiddled with her fingers. "He's awake."